Davy Jones, Where did the legend come from

Barbados Jack

Alright mates;

I've searched this here forum and other sites on the net and have found very little reference to the origins of Davy Jones. My personal experience comes from the Naval service, and the traditional "crossing the line ceremony". The story was that Jones was a ruthless and notorioius pirate whose crew mutinied and threw him over the side. In retaliation Davy jones now preys upon other pirates ships by rising up on a great whale and scuttling them to the bottom of his realm, where he plunders their riches. I would be interested in anyone else's information about this legendary person we all refer to.

:huh:

Barbados Jack

**** When daylight fades, Darkness prevails****

** Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez **

" We sail within a vast sphere, Ever drifting in uncertainty, Driven from end to end"

- Pascal-

Interesting I've never heard that story before, I always believed it refered to the devil and never gave much thought. Where did this saying come from? You've got my curiosity up.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

From what I had heard ... Davy Jones was a ruthlessly nasal British captain on the American merchant ship The Monkees. Not to be confused with The Sea Monkeys. First mate Michael Nesmith actually knew the ways of the sea, but had to defer all orders to Mr. Jones and his leftenant Mickey Dolenz. Neither one of the officers had nearly the experience that Mr Nesmith or even his pal Peter "Bowl-Cut" Tork had. After a failed mutiny, Mr Nesmith gave up on his career of fame and fortune to resign himself to the comforts of his tavern in town called "The White-Out". Some say it was named after a horrible snowy storm at sea ... others make reference to some sort of office supply product. Davy Jones has not been heard from since ... except for a possible sighting on the SS Brady Bunch.

The crew of The Monkees made much money in the short time they sailed together. But overall their ventures failed. If only the lads could sail ...

It is said that lone sailors can still hear The Monkees sailing by at night. Some have reported mysterious sounds with nonsensical words floating in the air.

"Here we come

Sailing on the seas

Getting the funniest looks from

All the early 1970's teens.

Hey hey, we're on The Monkees.

Everybody thinks we've run aground.

But its just our careers sinking.

Now we flip burgers in town."

:ph34r:

Wartooth

From what I had heard ... Davy Jones was a ruthlessly nasal British captain on the American merchant ship The Monkees

"Here we come

Sailing on the seas

Getting the funniest looks from

All the early 1970's teens.

Hey hey, we're on The Monkees.

Everybody thinks we've run aground.

But its just our careers sinking.

Now we flip burgers in town."

:ph34r:

Wartooth

Rollingonthedecklaughingmyblastedarseoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;););)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

From what I had heard ... Davy Jones was a ruthlessly nasal British captain on the American merchant ship The Monkees.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Aye matey that be just toooooooooooooooooooooo FUNNY!!

Me first date was on the 20th Anniversary Voyage of that ship after it sailed into the harbor of MTV back in 86!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

Ahoy Aloft and Alow,

While I am uncertain as to the origin of the Davy Jones legend, I can contribute that the name amongst the Welsh (Cmry, they prefer) is as common as 'John Smith' amongst the English. I do not think that it is a reference to the devil. Scratch, Old Nick, the horned gentleman, ect, these I have heard refered to as the adversary, Davy Jones was not amongst them.

If it is indeed a corruption of Duppy Jonah, then the legend cannot predate the West Indies slave trade, and it's origins will be the coast of West Africa.

OK, according to a book I just read, one David Jones was the first mate on a pirate ship in 1630. He was a master at scuttling ships, and if the captain didn't want to keep it, Davy Jones scuttled it. Now this was a kid's picture book, but all the other info was pretty much on the money. No mention of the pirate ship's name, the captain's name, or any other documentation.???

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Casting my net on the web, I find this posted on another message board by one "Foxe" (a familiar name!):

David Jones served as mate, and sometimes acting captain of the Roebuck, commanded by Captain Cobb, in 1637. The Roebuck, in company with another vessel went on a privateering cruise, and David Jones is known to have been very keen on scuttling any ship which could not be brought home as a prize, POSSIBLY, giving rise to the term.

http://www.piratesinfo.com/mysql/phorum/re...1&i=5516&t=5516

The only other reference I've found so far to this particular Roebuck is this:

Operating out of Mohéli, the corsair Roebuck plundered some £30 000 worth of booty in the Indian Ocean and Red Sea.

Roebuck's chief lieutenant was reputed to have been the original Davy Jones.

http://www.oicexchange.com/index.php?ch=5&pg=211&ac=38