What Atlantic maps were available in 1714?

Daniel

I'm trying to find out what maps of the Atlantic would have been available to navigators in 1714, the end of the War of the Spanish Succession. Dampier's journals were available of course, but the only maps of his I've been able to find show only the Caribbean, Central America, and the Indian Ocean. Woodes Rogers' maps would have been complete, but were they published and in circulation? All the Herman Moll maps I've been able to find postdate 1714.

Anyone know which maps were known, and were popularly used? The Atlantic was one of the most traveled oceans in the world; I would have thought it was mapped abundantly.

Edmund Halley conducted a survey of the Atlantic in the 1690s and the resulting maps were published in the same decade. I'm not sure how widespread they were in 1714, but they were available. They are well detailed and I have a repro of one showing lines of compass variation.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Edmund Halley conducted a survey of the Atlantic in the 1690s and the resulting maps were published in the same decade. I'm not sure how widespread they were in 1714, but they were available. They are well detailed and I have a repro of one showing lines of compass variation.

Perfect! Is this the one?

In the past few hours I've also found some world maps that show the Atlantic, in a book called The Image of the World: 20 centuries of World Maps, by Peter Whitfield. It has a world map showing the Atlantic by Adam Friedrich Zuerner, from Saxony, published by Amsterdam cartographer Pieter Schenck in several atlases from about 1710 onwards.

Perfect! Is this the one?

Yup, that's the fella.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

There's also a big thick book called "Atlas Major of 1665" by Joan Blaeu. It's a reprint of an old atlas from 1665 and it's in English, French, and German. http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Maior-1665-Joan-Blaeu/dp/3822831255/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275872243&sr=8-1

I found my copy in the bargain book section at Barnes & Noble

I'm trying to set up a real Pirate-themed town...somewhere. I need some help with it.

There was this English Chart from 1707 that showed the majority of the Atlantic Ocean. I am just doing one of my replica versions of it now.

england_to_guinea(ca.1702-1707).png

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...