"Other" pirate personas

although "most" of us it seems tend towards a generic english portrayal of piracy/naval life, i'm curious what sort of documentation (read IMAGES) some of you may have found that show what say some mediterannean, indian, arabic, spanish, italian, dutch sailors would have worn.

we got to talking about this at our last event, and while i usually am an indian (feather head) i like the idea of not having to shave and paint all the time, but thought it'd be cool to do a different bit of a portrayal.

the new-er portrayal of "jamal, the somali pirate" was even discussed.biggrin.gif

but seriously. i can't find that much about these other locales, though from reading johnson's i gather that there would likely have been a large number of sailors from india and the ottoman empire on a ship operating in that region, whether it was a pirate or merchantman, soooo...............

Alright, but I'll kill anyone who gets in the way of me killing anyone!

let me break it down for ya:

A few of us have discussed this, in several threads around here. A couple of searches should pull them up or if someone else has the links handy...

although "most" of us it seems tend towards a generic english portrayal of piracy/naval life,

To paraphrase Henry Morgan, Hywel Davis, Bartholemew Roberts (And some say Davy Jones himself). Sy 'ch yn galw Saesneg chi anadl? wink.gif

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Bah! Damn you and your language of too-many-consonants! tongue.gif

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Bah! Damn you and your language of too-many-consonants! tongue.gif

Coincidentally, just like the word "phlegm".

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Hey one of my snotties is Phlegm and the other is fondly known as Loogie

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

although "most" of us it seems tend towards a generic english portrayal of piracy/naval life,

To paraphrase Henry Morgan, Hywel Davis, Bartholemew Roberts (And some say Davy Jones himself). Sy 'ch yn galw Saesneg chi anadl? wink.gif

So, Grymm -- would ye be kind enough t'share with us what yer quote means? I'm assumin' Welsh Gaelic, but could be wrong....

Drake

---

The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest,

but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate.

So, Grymm -- would ye be kind enough t'share with us what yer quote means? I'm assumin' Welsh Gaelic, but could be wrong....

Drake

'Who you callin' English dog breath?' and it's Welsh, no garlic involved =o) And no I'm not Welsh but I have a son who's ½ Welsh.

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.