Numismatists? Coin question

Wartooth

I came across this pic of an old coin. Being a fanatic of octopi (as well as treasure treasure treasure :D ), I'd like to know its origins. Can't seem to find anything about it. My first guess was Greek. Any other ideas?

top_nav_coin.jpg

Wartooth (who coincidentally enough is in the midst of designing an evil-looking octopus tattoo for his left arm)

Got it!

Here it is on the web:

Click here

and here is the text info:

MALI (1975) Octopus*. Coin*. Die proof in black signed by the engraver QUILLIVIC. Eritrean didcrachma, 480-445 BC. Scott No 247, Yvert No 249. Scarce!

*makes a sweeping bow*

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Impressive indeed. Claire! Reckon we'll appoint you the list's resident coin expert! :)

Wartooth, I'll bet yer an HP Lovecraft fan. (?)

Capt. William

Hah! :huh: You know ..... I had never made that connection before. I have an entire bookshelf dedicated to Lovecraftian stories and such. As we are soon moving into a larger house, I was planning on setting up a 50-100 gallon saltwater tank for an bimac octopus. Perhaps an appropriate name would be Cthulhu or Dagon?

Wartooth (who's getting the willies just thinking about it :huh: )

Aye, Wartooth, then the connection was subliminal: or maybe "Great Cthulhu is molding your fleshy mind, in sleep". :(

I'm an on-again, off-again Lovecraft fan; never tire of him, just that the interest gets pushed down deep, and then resurfaces. My wife is currently reading The Case of Charles Dexter Ward - one that I haven't read - and is becoming hooked!

I'm also interested in how that for-real octopus works out for you; you sound like an experienced salt water aquarist. (?) We tried our hands with it but decided to stick with fresh. I have one angelfish in a tank and a bunch of bettas in individual bowls. When the angelfish goes to fish heaven (assuming his/her murderin' soul makes it there, after killing all the other fish in the tank!), I want to keep 5-6 female bettas in that 10 gallon tank, and a few males in bowls.

When I have more time on my hands I want to start breeding bettas.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"