alestorm

Alestorm is pretty fun, if I'm in the mood for that sort of thing. I don't really do metal much, but at least you can understand the words they're singing, unlike some other metal bands. If you ARE into pirate metal though, and you don't mind some "RAR!! RRRAAAAAAARRRRRR!!!! RGHAKDJFAAAAAAR!!!!! QUEOIJAAAAAAAAAARRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!" in lieu of actual lyrics, I suggest checking out a band called Swashbuckle.

Otherwise, if you're more into other kinds of "Pirate Core" music, I HIGHLY recommend the Dreadnoughts, who are what has been described as "shanty punk." As well as more mainstream bands like Flogging Molly, of course. Captain Bogg and Salty are fun and silly - more kid-oriented, but still very fun for adults. Skip Henderson does fantastic traditional shanties, as well as a few originals. Great Big sea is also amazing if you like more traditional sea songs, but they do some pop music stuff as well. Gaelic storm, while mostly Irish oriented, does a lot of old sea-tunes as well. And then there are the ren-faire type bands, like the Brigands, the Jolly Rogers, the Corsairs (sadly broken up), The Bilge Pumps, Bounding Main, and many many more. A couple other traditional-style artists I recommend are Tom Lewis, and the late, great Stan Rogers.

And then there are the bands who just do a few pirate songs, but are well worth the listen. The Arrogant Worms to one called "The Last Saskatchewan Pirate" that is utterly hilarious, and it was covered by another band called Captain Tractor, who also did a rollicking version of "Drunken Sailor." Another sort of comedy band is Ceann, who do "The Worst Pirate Song," and a great non-funny song, "Monahan the Mutineer." And if you're into Indie Rock, I cannot more highly recommend The Decemberists! Those guys are truly my favorite band E V E R. They do quite a lot of nautical and sort-of-pirate-related songs, and they're all amazing. The must-hear song from the Decemberists for a pirate enthusiast is called "The Mariner's Revenge Song." It's about 10 minutes long, but don't be daunted! Listen to the whole thing, and pay attention to the lyrics! You won't be dissapointed!

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton, but that should get you started! However, if you REALLY want to hear TONS of great pirate music, I cannot more highly recommend tuning in to Bilgemunky Radio every Monday night, starting at 8:00 PM Eastern Time. The DJ, Bilgemunky (who is also on these forums, occasionally), has what is quite possibly the largest pirate music collection on Earth. I kid you not. And while he can't play a lot of it, because it has to be royalty free, the selection he actually can play is still freaking vast. Go to www.bilgemunkyradio.com, and you can also download past episodes via podcast on iTunes.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

I am always amazed when I stumble upon this topic, how few folks know of a little Canadian band called The Real McKenzies.

While technically a ‘punk’ band, they are really known for two things, their Scottish songs (and we are not talking just made up lyrics here but the poetry of Robert Burns set to some of the cleanest guitar licks and bagpipe solos ever) and their pirate songs:

Clash of the Tartans:

- Mainland

Loch'd and Loaded:

- "Ballad of John Silver"

Oot & Aboot:

- "Cross the Ocean"

10,000 Shots

- "The Catalpa"

Off the Leash

"Chip"

The thing that really sets the guys apart is the talent. People will constantly think ‘punk’ and think, not talent hacks that cannot play an instrument to save their lives or be able to carry a tune in a bucket. Not so with these blokes. I cannot recommend them enough.

I will also second McCool’s vote for Captain Tractor. Another fantastic Canadian band whose tune like “Pitcairn Island” and their cover of “The Last Saskatchewan Pirate” are not to be missed. They also have, IMHO, the single best version of “Drunken Sailor” ever recorded. Ever. Period.

Another fun band to check out is The Dust Rhinos. Again not strictly piratical in nature but they do sing the odd sea fairing tune.

The last recommendation i will make is a personal favourite gem, “Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs, and Chanteys”, directly inspired by the first POTC film. This odd CD contains some truly amazing and original renditions of some old favourites. A must have.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.

3660251270_1501aa649b.jpg

I am always amazed when I stumble upon this topic, how few folks know of a little Canadian band called The Real McKenzies.

While technically a 'punk' band, they are really known for two things, their Scottish songs (and we are not talking just made up lyrics here but the poetry of Robert Burns set to some of the cleanest guitar licks and bagpipe solos ever) and their pirate songs:

Clash of the Tartans:

- Mainland

Loch'd and Loaded:

- "Ballad of John Silver"

Oot & Aboot:

- "Cross the Ocean"

10,000 Shots

- "The Catalpa"

Off the Leash

"Chip"

The thing that really sets the guys apart is the talent. People will constantly think 'punk' and think, not talent hacks that cannot play an instrument to save their lives or be able to carry a tune in a bucket. Not so with these blokes. I cannot recommend them enough.

I will also second McCool's vote for Captain Tractor. Another fantastic Canadian band whose tune like "Pitcairn Island" and their cover of "The Last Saskatchewan Pirate" are not to be missed. They also have, IMHO, the single best version of "Drunken Sailor" ever recorded. Ever. Period.

Another fun band to check out is The Dust Rhinos. Again not strictly piratical in nature but they do sing the odd sea fairing tune.

The last recommendation i will make is a personal favourite gem, "Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs, and Chanteys", directly inspired by the first POTC film. This odd CD contains some truly amazing and original renditions of some old favourites. A must have.

Woohoo! Some great reccomendations of some bands I have sadly never heard! Thanks Cap'n Mac! I'm looking into the Real McKenzies as we speak (figuratively, of course)! And I completely agree, Captain Tractor's version of Drunken Sailor is absolutely the best version ever recorded. Never heard Pitcairn Island though. Looking that one up too! (it is my goal to amass the single largest pirate music collection in Colorado, mwahahahaha...)

And as for good punk bands, I would again recommend the Dreadnoughts, who are also out of Canada, actually. I can't get enough of those guys. And they're also very talented. Their accordianist alone does things I never would have believed possible! They also have a couple really good a-capella songs, Eliza Lee, and Roll the Woodpile Down. It's weird, but a ton of my favorite pirate, pirate-friendly, and general folk bands are from up North. Not sure why, but Canada seems to produce a lot of great sea music.

Another band to check out (and I want to plug them, because they're coming to BrethrenCon 2010), is the Widow's Bane: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/TheWidowsBane. They are a "Zombie, Gypsie, Pirate, Death-Polka" band out of Boulder, Colorado. They don't do much pirate related stuff, but ALL of their music is good, and their "anthem" as it were is definitely piratey. It's calle "Haul Away Boys!" and it's about being trapped on the Devil's Ship, cursed to sail the seas for all eternity, playing the devil's song! What make these guys great is that they perform all of their shows completely dressed and made up as 19th century zombies!

As far as the Rogues Gallery goes... hmmmm... well, I liked some of it. A lot of it actually. But there was also a lot of undeniable garbage on it. I have a really hard time with that album, because I WANT to like it so bad, but some of the stuff on there is just... well... so bad.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Who can forget Running Wild.... Even though not all of their songs are about pirates, a great many of them are. good Rock and roll and piratey!!

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

One of my absolute favorite pirate bands are the Salt Sea Pirates. They perform traditional and original music, and give it their own unique sound. Their rendition of "Fifteen Men on the Dead Man's Chest" is the finest version I have ever heard recorded. B)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

One of my absolute favorite pirate bands are the Salt Sea Pirates. They perform traditional and original music, and give it their own unique sound. Their rendition of "Fifteen Men on the Dead Man's Chest" is the finest version I have ever heard recorded. wink.gif

Yep! Totally dig the Salt Sea Pirates! And now I think of it, I don't actually own any of their music... off to remedy this...

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• 2 months later...