Current members of the Devils Dozen?

Jib

I have performed for perhaps thousands of mentally and physically disabled children in my lifetime and never once have I had to resort to pretending I was like them to do it. It's akin to rolling up in a wheelchair, pretending you're like wheelchair bound kids, only to jump out of it at the end and be able to walk away. Sorry, just don't find that kind of entertainment necessary, if you already know how to work with these kids and be at their level without having to pretend you suffer from their afflictions.

Perhaps it works in some settings, but the people who hired me to entertain their children - the counselors, teachers and parents - would have handed me my ass on a platter for trying that one. You can identify with kids by being yourself, for them, being themselves is their only choice.

I doubt the little people's group would appreciate me walking in on my knees and pretending I'm a dwarf so they can identify with me. I know of one person posting here that would have ripped me to shreds (see above) Listen to the song "Don't Laugh at Me" and I think you'll get what I'm saying.

I know I'm in the minority, so be it. Used to it here.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Seems to me that the character of Robbie was not for the benefit of the special needs children but for the average children who do not know how to approach or interact with the others.

Guess it just depends on your perspective and what shade of rose or brown your glasses are. Also depends how long a stick you are measuring by.

Funny how adults take offense for their kids, when the kids aren't even close to being offended. Maybe we should be taking lessons from our children and not teaching them how to hate and take offense by what people do and do with no intentions of giving harm.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

To my knowledge, Robbie has not made fun of anyone, nor pretended to be anyone with a disability or impairment. Naive on the world and slightly misguided, yes. Actually, robbie did quite well merging two groups together who normally do not interact. A comment was made by one of the parents that no one had ever actually gotten the groups to work together like that before and numerous folks thanked all of us for not treating anyone differently and getting them working together. While not being part of either group, he can connect with both. In fact, he got to do many things that weekend, just by going up to a child and saying, hey what are you doing- that's neat how do you do that. If we look at the classic comedians of silent film we can see parts of him from Charlie Chaplain and Buster Keating. He is simply the inept side kick much the same as Costello, Curly, or Harpo.

And does anyone know what robbie did that was so offensive? He didn't know the rules of stool ball and had both groups working together, in a big intermixed cirlce, to teach him how to play. By the end of the thirty minute game, there were three worn out pirates and forty kids with smiles on their faces.

I have performed for perhaps thousands of mentally and physically disabled children in my lifetime and never once have I had to resort to pretending I was like them to do it. It's akin to rolling up in a wheelchair, pretending you're like wheelchair bound kids, only to jump out of it at the end and be able to walk away. Sorry, just don't find that kind of entertainment necessary, if you already know how to work with these kids and be at their level without having to pretend you suffer from their afflictions.

Perhaps it works in some settings, but the people who hired me to entertain their children - the counselors, teachers and parents - would have handed me my ass on a platter for trying that one. You can identify with kids by being yourself, for them, being themselves is their only choice.

I doubt the little people's group would appreciate me walking in on my knees and pretending I'm a dwarf so they can identify with me. I know of one person posting here that would have ripped me to shreds (see above) Listen to the song "Don't Laugh at Me" and I think you'll get what I'm saying.

I know I'm in the minority, so be it. Used to it here.

-- Hurricane

Hmm.... perhaps you haven't hung about Robbie so much... I would not say he was mentally disabled as much as he is like the McGee character from Pirates Dinner Adventure Theater.... who, by the way got along swimmingly with Robbie.

I agree with Dutch, hes relatively clueless about the world around him and is always asking questions and inquisitive and has a great time no matter the circumstances and that spread to all the children around hime.

I suppose you had to be there to see how it worked....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I was the one who referred to Robbie as "the village idiot". I have corrected that mistake and I apologize for it. I was thinking like a woman teasing her friend not as an outsider scoffing at someone she did not understand. I apologize for my in accurate and unkind wording.

May I also add that the "fool" in many classic works is actually the most astute individual in the cast.

Now ...how the heck did we end up HERE...we started with Jib stating, "I saw the nomination for the last round of the Order of the Leviathan in Pirates Magazine. Just curious as to who is now considered a member of this elite group?" We need a tour guide here.

Robbie is one of man's guilless individuals bereft of the fault of deceit and jealousy, who says what most of wish we could when we see those among us who are set upon by those who wish harm to others. Some might call him names but usually those folks find fault in everyone but themselves. He has proven, at least to me, to be totally honest and forthright. The character shows evidence of a lack of formal education and airs; however he is an astute observer of the human condition. Not unlike the fool in Shakespear's King Lear, he tweeks the nose of the king when he needs it

OI since when does my nose need tweaking???

oops...never mind....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

My dear Captain, All of us need a good tweeking from time to time .....some more than others!

As I know most of us might have read at least once in our lives "Let any among you without sin cast the first stone" Robbie knows better than most not to throw stones.