Name of Martinique Gov Hung by Roberts?

Tartan Jack

Does anyone have or know the name of the man Roberts hung, who writers say was the governor of Marinique?

It should be easy to find, but I've

According to THESE lists:

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Colonial_and_Departmental_Heads_of_Martinique

http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Martinique.htm

The only possibility would be de Hurault, 1717 to 1720. But, isn't 1720 too early?

Are any of our French-speakers able to find out more info on who de Hurault was and if his term ended by his being hung, or by some other means?

I've been wondering if it was oft cited fact or just period PR, from Roberts or his detractors . . .

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Quite a puzzle yo got me trying to solve here. I found records that indicate De Hurault was Governor until 1721. His cause of death is still not found, but Im looking. There really isn't much on him as opposed to other governors so im not sure if it's jst lack of information or if nothing substantial happened during his time in office. Still looking though

Found one refrence but it's a short story written years after that mentions De Hurault's name as governor but nothing as to his fate. It's was published in France as a collection of short stories around 1920 and the author has his story take place in Martinique in 1721. Governor is mentioned more as a way to set the time period and historical setting, no focus on him at all in the story though so the search continues

in 1720 pirates of the crew of Bartholomew Roberts "openly and in the daytime burnt and destroyed... vessels in the Road of Basseterre [st. Kitts] and had the audaciousness to insult H.M. Fort," avenging the execution of "their comrades at Nevis". Roberts then sent word to the governor that "they would Come and Burn the Town [sandy Point] about his Ears for hanging the Pyrates there." Roberts even had his own pirate flag made showing him standing on two skulls labelled ABH and AMH - 'A Barbadian's Head' and 'A Martinican's Head' - later that same year he gave substance to his vendetta against the two islands by hanging the governor of Martinique from a yardarm.

If the dates I found are correct then De Hurault would have still been governor later that year in 1720. Still can find no official record of his death though.

Thanks.

For some reason, I was thinking the hanging was late 1722.

(I misremembered Roberts as dying later than he did-> more like 1725 than Feb 1722. That had A LOT to do w/ my previous post on too early.)

Late 1720 or early 1721 would be the correct timing if de Hurault was actually hung by Roberts. If he showed up back in France or elsewhere in 1722 or later, that would be quite interesting . . .

Any more personal info, like a first name (at least)?

(Everything I can find is in French, which I can't read.)

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

According to the book "If a Pirate I Must Be", Richard Sanders (bio of Roberts), the governor of Martinique at this time was de Feuquieres, and he was not given a "necktie party", as't were. According to the book, the origin of this story was a letter written to London by Governor Bennet of Bermuda (page 161 of the hardbound edition) A quick and somewhat incomplete perusal of the chapter of Roberts in the General History does not mention this hanging at all.

Damn, thats sharp!

• 1 month later...

de Feuquieres is a name that I can't seem to find in the list of statesman in Martinique History. Need to do some more digging I guess

He is in the list at http://www.worldstatesmen.org/Martinique.htm:

1717 - 1727 François de Pas de Mazencourt, marquis de Feuquières (b. c.1660 - d. 1731)

Identifies him as a Governor-General. Lower on the list for the same period, identified as Governor:

1720 - 1727 Jacques Charles de Bochard de Noray de Champigny (d. 1754)

Edited by Sebastien Auguste Benoit
sebastienaugustebenoit2.jpg

François de Pas de Mazencourt is the Governor of all the Windward Isles, while de Hurault is specifically the governor of just Martinique. This is why there seems to be two governors at once. The titles are different by added definition. François de Pas de Mazencourt is a the Governor-general les Îles du Vent, which gives him jurisdiction over all of the island holdings of France in the Caribbean. Martinique's local,immediate governor is de Hurault.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg