New Inductees into the Order of Leviathan

Hahahahaha.... Thank ye, Oderlesseye. Nothin' gets me on m' best than in th' heat of battle. Loves th' roar of th' cannons.

Wait? JUST th' crusted salt? Apparently I'm not stompin' hard enough then.

Hahahaha... oh, now I think that's a challenge, Oderlesseye! When next we cross paths... we shall see who best holds their rum. ;) Aye?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Hahahahaha.... Thank ye, Oderlesseye. Nothin' gets me on m' best than in th' heat of battle. Loves th' roar of th' cannons.

Wait? JUST th' crusted salt? Apparently I'm not stompin' hard enough then.

Hahahaha... oh, now I think that's a challenge, Oderlesseye! When next we cross paths... we shall see who best holds their rum. wink.gif Aye?

~Lady B

Wow, I think M'lady has just tugged on someone's wiskers! wink.gif

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Wow, I think M'lady has just tugged on someone's wiskers! wink.gif

Jas. Hook

LMAO! Nay... :::tugs on Magellan's whiskers, my cat:::: now I did. ;)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 4 weeks later...

Those interested in being considered into the Honorable Order of Leviathan please let us know your interest. Each of the Order has a vote for a potential new member so start seeking us out!Please also send any info to Pirates Magazine.

I'll toss my hat in the ring...

Bob Brinkman has spent the past 20 years as a professional entertainer performing at such venues as;

Caesars Palace Las Vegas (4558 shows on a single stage, a Las Vegas record and a pending World record)

The Bristol Renaissance Faire (Director of Pirates 1991-1992, Entertainment Director 2009 to present)

The Ohio Renaissance Festival (Director of Pirates 1993)

The Texas Renaissance Festival (Pirate for Hire 1993)

Gold Coast Productions and the Gold Coast Pirate Faire (1995 to present)

Gen Con and Gen Con SoCal (2004 to present, Asst. Entertainment Coordinator 2006-2008)

and many others. He has also performed at special events by request of the A&E and REAL networks.

In addition, Bob is a founding member of the singing group Marooned, who have been active since 1995 and are currently working on their third CD. Marooned has appeared at events from one side of the country to the other and back again.

Beyond performing, Bob has directed at several events and currently hangs his director's hat at the Bristol Renaissance Faire where he serves as the Entertainment Director and head of the Bristol Academy of performing arts (BAPA) where he teaches improv and acting skills to the next generation of rising entertainers.

His devotion and love of music led to the creation of ModernBard.org, a website devoted to preserving and archiving the recordings of festival performers. The site itself is preparing for a relaunch, but currently lists over 1300 recordings by over 400 artists (Pirate and Ren alike) and the archive itself contains over 400 recordings and has recently undertaken the massive project of converting over 100 reel to reel recordings by West Coast performers "Mallory & McCall" and their Janus Company Radio theater, so that these recordings should never be lost.

Finally, Bob has been tireless in his support of charity. In 2006, in response to the Hurricane Katrina disaster, Bob Brinkman and Marc Gunn produced "Circle" and managed to raise several thousand dollars for the Red Cross relief efforts. Shortly after, Bob was contacted by Pirates for the Preservation of New Orleans Music (PPNOM) and he has, to date, produced four fundraiser CDs for the charity. "Lafitte's Return" Volumes 1-4 continue to raise money for New Orleans Schools. So great is Bob's commitment to the charity that in 2009, he and his wife took over the charity, rather than let it fold, and are in the process of reorganizing it to streamline the operation. No salaries are taken by anyone involved in the charity, it is all about the love of music and piracy. Lafitte's Return Volume 5 is scheduled for Christmas 2011.

• 2 months later...

Not to disparage the current members o the Dozen, but it seems ta me that all the inductees so far hae been pirates from Southern waters! May I remind ye that New York was once a hot bed o freebootin? And that several crews called RHode Island home waters?

With that in mind I puts it to the Dozen that THe Brigands be the first group ta be added to the Dozen, as a single entity! If elected we promises to share the booty ( yya right) and ta promulage piracy in all it's manifestations at every event we performs at. WHy, just think o the coverage! The De'ils Dozen will be known up an down the Eastern Seaboard!

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

I nominate cousin robbie

Not to disparage the current members o the Dozen, but it seems ta me that all the inductees so far hae been pirates from Southern waters!. . .

. . . the Eastern Seaboard!

Aye - me thinks Cousin Robbie should be nominated ta represent the Eastern Seaboard!

Wait...cousin robbie? that smacks of nepotism....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Are ye certain of that?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to nominate my fine captain, Charity Ann Rackham, notorious leader of the Jade Dragon Pirates up here on the West Coast of Canada (http://www.jadedragonpirates.com). She has led us through many a perilous adventure over the past 5 years, appearing at parades and events, helping charities, entertaining kiddies of all ages, and bringing the BC Renaissance Festival to fruition. Her exploits carry back even further back in her homeport of Toronto, where she spent many a year face-painting, and entertaining the masses through many ventures including working as a character for Paramount events. It would be grand to have such a fine Lady Pirate inducted into the Order, and a Canadian one at that!

I heartily accept the Quartermaster's nomination. How could I do otherwise? If chosen to serve within that esteemed group of cutthroats, thieves, rogues and miscreants known as The Order of the Leviathan, I swear to conduct said service with the solemnity and underhandedness expected of such a band of brigands.

Signed, , John Christopher Roberts, known to some as Topknot, Ship's Cooper of the once and future ship Outrageous Fortune, may she rest in peace in her watery grave...

I nominate the dread pyrate Topknot, of The Outrageous Fortune.

Flag%20copy.jpg

I would like to nominate my fine captain, Charity Ann Rackham, notorious leader of the Jade Dragon Pirates up here on the West Coast of Canada (http://www.jadedragonpirates.com). She has led us through many a perilous adventure over the past 5 years, appearing at parades and events, helping charities, entertaining kiddies of all ages, and bringing the BC Renaissance Festival to fruition. Her exploits carry back even further back in her homeport of Toronto, where she spent many a year face-painting, and entertaining the masses through many ventures including working as a character for Paramount events. It would be grand to have such a fine Lady Pirate inducted into the Order, and a Canadian one at that!

I second this nomination!

I second this nomination!

Thank you to the both of you. I am sorry it took so long to reply but as you both know, things are a little nuts right now. I have so much to get in the mail, sort and take care of that my head has been spinning. I wish of something other then responsibilities but alas...

I would love to accept the nomination and run for a position in the Order Of Leviathan.

I have been a performer for many years and have taken part in much charity work and volunteer gigs. Most recently, this Hallowe'en we are spending time with Variety - The Children's Charity with manning their haunted ship for their haunted house. Ed and I also spent time with the Lower Nine when we were down in New Orleans. My charitable activities go back to the days of Paramount (pre Viacom buy out) and the 'second' (for all you Classic Trek fans) height of Trek Popularity (1990) when I ran a company called Fully Functional. We were a sanctioned company that provided characters for product promotions/releases and corporate shows, but also donated time to charitable events on behalf of Paramount. I was also a member of the USS Hudson Bay/K.A.G. Canada doing charity appearances for Reach For The Rainbow, Global Ed Med (Ben Wick's Wife - Doreen Wick's charity), Ronald Mc Donald House, Performer's For Literacy and a number of smaller fund raisers and food bank supporting events and evenings.

As a performer I have been acting and around cameras since I was approx. 8 years old and have never been far from the development of characters, scripts and 'vision.' My first on camera experience that took me off volunteer theatre and into the world of television, was as co-host for the Mr. Toronto Show where I interviewed people that the 'kid' side of Toronto would appreciate. I have been in the 'fantasy and fiction' world of fandom since 1984, always volunteering for conventions and presenting at panels on the subjects of presenting yourself and your costume successfully on stage, Making props on a budget and making costumes on a budget, where Martin and I would take props and costume pieces from actual sets and demonstrate how to make a similar product for yourself. We'd also cover how to take and image of something and translate it into 3-D. To this day we still do such panels and are more than happy to share our skills and knowledge with others. We do, however prefer to do such things at cons then on line as both Martin and I are active in building, creating and structuring such things for ourselves and our careers, thus taking us away from the computer and this type of communication. You can't educate much via an iPhone. So we are always looking for ways to teach at conventions and events. In the fandom world we are also master class costumers and even though we have not competed for a number of years, we have judged for other masquerades and events.

I have been part of a concom or run events of various sizes and types as far back as 1988. I have held positions such as Media Relations, Promotions, Masquerade Director, Display room, Guest Liason, Conchair, etc. I have organised and set up the Toronto Trek Parody plays for a number of years and have done so with Paramount's blessing. I have organised all the pirate events we have done here in BC and have been attending multiple meetings in order to acquire for Charity and Cobbs (and when needed the rest of the crew) not only paid gigis (parties, promos, events) but also other charitable opportunities. I have designed and/or created and/or had created for us, the various items the crew uses in these performances.

I have been a special skills actor since the early 90s when the Paramount Rep decided that my physical shape and sturdiness was ideal to swing a Klingon Bat'leth and thus my first weapon was placed in my hand. Since then I have taught the members of cast for all the parody plays we did and all the promos as well as taught Ed the same style we used for the Paramount gigs in order to have a consistent partner for the renfest fights and a partner that is able and willing to teach along side me for the fest and all the sword fighting required gigs we do. Ed and I are presently in the development of a half hour show, using our two signature fights as a catalyst for Charity's and Cobbs' tensions.. If you will..

Keeping in mind that there is an adult as well as a child audience, I have structured and reminded the cast many times, that all improv needs to be PC if there is a child around and I am strict with my actors. If there is too much conflict or unnecessary tension that an actor is unwilling to resolve and/or disrespect of the blades and weapons, I will dismiss them (after I have given them a chance to fix it) as I understand my responsibility to my cast and my audience and this understanding is the primary reason we keep going. The audience is paramount and I live by that code.

I have set up and structured (along with Martin's support and design knowledge) the Hallowe'ens at Fort Langley. Everything from scenes to sets.

I have volunteered for the Portland Pirate Fest and did some work when at Pyrateweek. I wish I could have done more when down at the Florida Renfest and hope to do more when at Midsummers in Washington. I volunteered and helped out at Penumbra and have always provided copies of video/photos when an event is done as I understand the value of promotion and if I like the people I just volunteered or worked for, I believe in sharing.

As an actor I have also done much indie films as well as major productions. I spent some time supporting and hosting two different ghost documentaries.

I am the producer for the BC Renaissance Festival and the Captain of The Jade Dragon. With both of these entities I have attempted to keep history interesting for the little ones but not to go so far as to be boring and tedious for the adults.

When I began the process of developing The BC Renaissance Festival (2005) I created a pirate captain character for the promo tents we were setting up at other events. Our goal was to introduce the public to what a renfest is and find out from them what would interest them of all the things we would be doing at a renfest. During that time Charity and Cobbs was born. My intention with using pirates in our Renfest scripts was to show the public (without shoving it down their throats) that piracy was around in many cultures and political circles for many years before the hay day. I based the stories on a time and a King (King James the forth of Scotland) that was known to honour privateers as a step towards turning a monarch ruled society to a more political one. He did fail but we have not failed. We always get asked 'Pirates in the 1500s' and we proudly get the chance to say 'uh.. yeah.'. We also chose to use a female captain as a catalyst to show little girls that it is ok to be a strong woman. We designed Charity's outfit to be 'fightable' and have some male influences without hiding that she is a woman as we have discovered that the young ladies respond well to this. Even though a 1700s version of the characters are now being created (add a pistol and a coat and VOILA! - more or less) we maintain the 1500s version for the renfest and when on request (like the Surrey Museum's Seafarer's Day). I am hoping to continue to use these characters for entertainment as well as education. I have always said.. If they don't know they are learning, they have a greater chance to learn.

I have been (and technically still am) an actor, costumer, prop maker, camera person, interviewer/reporter, host, producer, director, fight coordinator, writer, jeweler, editor, weapons handler, assistant director, promotions, audio mixer, lighting assistant.... I know there's more but I'd have to go get a copy of my extended resume...

Most recently... I spend much of my days acquiring, setting up, and organising gigs for members of the Jade Dragon Crew as well as keep an eye on the guestbooks, facebook pages, myspace pages and all the little fiddly on line bits that need to be done. I write the scripts for the BCRF (with Ed's input and sometimes sectional rewrites and Martin's spell checking and 'what the?' check) and with Ed create all the fights for the BCRF characters. I set up the rooms and travel plans for our trips and edit the promo videos. I oversee the creation of the program book and flyers. That task has been recently handed over to Ed (who has returned to school to learn how to do this sort of thing as a 'day job' so he has more up to date knowledge of such things) but it was a major part of my life until Ed was able to step in. I am grateful for that as it frees up some time to be able to do this massive typing thing I am doing right now...

;)

I am typing fast as I have run out of time. I have to be out the door. I am sorry that I have not spell checked but... When I return this evening, Talderoy, I will check in on the Pirates magazine page for any additional info as to what you would like me to do at this point. I could send you the promo package, my previous extended resume (I haven't updated it in a while but it is there) and anything else you wold like... Just let me know.

Sorry to accept and dash but..

May our paths cross, in ideal light.

And faith never lead us astray.

May our ships pass peacefully in the night.

...I say nothing of the day.

Yours in time and piracy,

Christina Carr

AKA Charity Ann Rackham

Edited by CharityRackham

Charity Ann Rackham

Captain of the Jade Dragon

Admiral of the Rackham Fleet

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

Myspace (carrhunger is the personal one and Jadedragonpirates is the other)

BCRF page is: http://www.bcrenfest.com

Jade Dragon: http://www.jadedragonpirates.com

May our ships pass peacefully in the night. Note I say nothing of the day.

JDpyracy150.jpg

• 2 months later...

I would love to join The Order of Laviathon, But I really haven't accomplished all that much yet. Plus The Devil's Brood, the Guild of Pyrate crews I founded, is just barely getting off the ground seeing as I only starting talking to the other founding member Cap'n BlackJack Brimstone about putting it together on the last day of A local renfaire's pyrate weekend last summer.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

I aint got no ring.

However,

I respecfully demand the Order recognize Patrick Hand for his ongoing effort towards peroid corretness, willingnes and generosity to help others, bieng the best damn drinkin partner of the lot of ya! and just flat out a better pirate than most!

At this point I would stare you down, but im only 5'6 with hat so I'll stare you up.

I ask for others to rally with me in this effort!

Here is YOUR chance to make a differnce!

Who will stand with me on this?

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

I'd nominate Mr Foxe for his constant stream of useful information and helping steer the course of the period correct pirate. (thats if the orders open to overseas members?)

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

I've no ring either, but I will stand by Hand as well, shoulder to shoulder with you Cannibal. All I have to offer is support, but all that is for the taking. If ever a man has earned a place under the criteria outlined by the order, certainly Patrick Hand fills the bill. My word and hand to it.

Bo

I'd nominate Mr Foxe for his constant stream of useful information and helping steer the course of the period correct pirate. (thats if the orders open to overseas members?)

Actually a very good question...as I would be willing to fight for this...I shall bring it up at Fells Point.

Crewe of the Archangel

I am looking forward to the next Devil's Dozen.

If I remember the last one stipulated that the final choices had to show at Fell's Point so I don't think it matters where the submissions come from. I think it would be GREAT to see a multicultural Devil's Dozen as most pirate ships were multicultural.

With the encouragement and support from my crew and friends, apparently I must be nominated..

;)

I know I have a sword but they have swords too and they outnumber me. And I'm only Captain. They could oust me so.... I know Canada is not across the pond (And I'm not French Canadian- Just 'boring' ol' Canadian) but we are another country. If we can pull a nomination together I think it would be wonderful to see European (English, Irish, Scottish, Spanish, etc...) submissions, Asian submissions, etc..... A plethera of accents in one room. And half of them 'REAL'. That'd be wild.

Hey.. Has anyone thought of doing a fundraiser for plane or hotel for the final group? Maybe a donation button (Minimum $1 or something) on the voting page? If not help them get there and stay, maybe enough for a dinner as a group. Help folks (especially over seas or other countries) get to the final pick. Maybe a sponsorship of airfare or hotel from the companies (hotels and airlines) in trade for an ad or place for their banner (webpage?). Tourism in BC supports but isn't really in a position to financially contribute to events and such but what is the tourism department near by the event like? If you tell them in the final vote, there is a good chance someone is coming in from another country and they may convince folks to come with or advertise this local event in other countries, they may just chirp up.

I'd really like to see this succeed. I think it is a wonderful idea and a great moral building project for a broad range of folks interested in pirates on sooo many levels. It's also a great way to support the entertaining and/or educational in this reality and world we have created.

So there.. My ideas and what is sitting in my little head right now.

Thanks for the moment.

Charity Ann Rackham

Captain of the Jade Dragon

Admiral of the Rackham Fleet

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

Myspace (carrhunger is the personal one and Jadedragonpirates is the other)

BCRF page is: http://www.bcrenfest.com

Jade Dragon: http://www.jadedragonpirates.com

May our ships pass peacefully in the night. Note I say nothing of the day.

JDpyracy150.jpg

I think I need to clear some things up.

-The Devils Dozen was a one time thing. Those brought on board the first go around are the only Devils Dozen. They can pass their rings down if they choose to step down but those first few are the Devils Dozen.

-The Order of Leviathon is the Order the Dozen were elected too. They decide if there will be new members to the order

-The first group was verry diverse. Different ages/sex/cultures.

-Pirates Magazine set up the first meeting and put out all the money for it. They did not profit from the event in fact money was lost overall.

-Pirates Magazine will always help the Order in whatever tasks they choose to do, but do not control the Order at all.

-The Order can vote in whomever it chooses. Overseas is fine. It is often hard for them to travel to be inducted.

-which brings me to induction...we do not choose who is inducted or when. If a person is inducted during the year or voted in they still must attend a cerimony at some point to be inducted. Example. If the Order votes on 2 new members to be let in now then those 2 must attend the Fells Point meeting to make it official.

-we are game for putting on some funraisers but its up to the Order. if none are done then there will be a cost for tickets at the events as there will be some sort of food and drink provided. We are lucky enough to have some great supporters and sponcers for the event to help costs down a little but some cost will still accure. We will try to keep costs at a minimum.

New members can be decided by the Order as a whole anytime but once a year seems to be the best format and as long as the Order is willing to travel to our home town of Baltimore then we will certainly aide in hosting an event. If it chooses to meet elsewhere then we will do the we can to help where we can.

I myself am not even in the Order. I do feel that I am a part of it and I am currently acting as the "HOST" for the Order. So My words are not final. I currently can't even speak for the magazine as I am just a columnist with a inside view of things. Shortly this will change as plans are to bring me on the staff officialy.

:)

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop