Land locked and going mad!!

Capn' Mac

Ooooo, I like yo'r idea of a pirate fest, wes. Not sure 'bout th' St Louis Pirate Fest, all I know is it's set in a Ren Fair local. Not all that piraty if ye ask me. We need a big mass o' water, ships or boats, space to battle, have encampments, etc.

And like the lot of ye, I, too, am landlocked and marooned. Tis hours to th' nearest Pirate Fest, and even longer to th' better pirate events in my region. Doesn't dim m' outlook or prospects. If I could, I'd attend them all.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Hey Lady B.

Don't fret about the location of a pirate event or party. Does it involve pirates/privateers/etc.? Does it have a variety of alc and non-alc food and beverage to keep everyone feeling 'piraty'? Does it involve people you like?

Back in Ontario the pirate event is now held in Milton which is not on Lake Ontario at all. I've been to pirate events no where near a body of water and have run a few pirate parties myself, that do not have the view of water to compliment it but we listened to music appropriate to the theme, danced, played games, and dressed up. And that's what being social is about.

I say book a ship within a 1 hour drive and let them know you're planning a pirate after noon and then get ahold of anyone else in a one hour drive and just pirate up the day. Paddlewheeller, sail boat.. Hell.. White water rafting... Marine museum.. Doesn't matter. Advertise your planned date and expect a response in time to cancel the booking if you can't get enough folks together. And just do it!

Community hall. Make a ball of it and use the evening to raise money for a local charitable organisation.

Pin your friends down and dress them up.... Or else....

:D

And take over the neighbourhood or local bar.

It's all good folks. I run a yearly event and it is not an easy cheap venture. I have, over the last 10-20 years been involved with events folks and have been part of many a group and organisation. Mostly on a business and entertainment level but still... If you aren't going to like what you are doing don't do it and as I grew up like this... well.. And I'll tell you.. It takes all your time and definitely much of your finances to run one of these. If you want to have a party, please send the invite out and have it. If you want to get the group together to dress up, do it. And when you get the chance to go to that BIG event you've been dreaming of attending, you'll have all the friends, support and bodies to split costs, travel responsibilities with and you'll have a much better time then you would have had otherwise. Yes?

I hope you all can find some light and happiness in your love of piracy and nautical adventures and not worry so much about being land locked and more about how you're going to convert your friends and convince your neighbours that it is all right to have a full ship replica, that you can see from the street, in your backyard.

;)

Later.

Charity Ann Rackham

Captain of the Jade Dragon

Admiral of the Rackham Fleet

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

Myspace (carrhunger is the personal one and Jadedragonpirates is the other)

BCRF page is: http://www.bcrenfest.com

Jade Dragon: http://www.jadedragonpirates.com

May our ships pass peacefully in the night. Note I say nothing of the day.

JDpyracy150.jpg

Ooooo, I like yo'r idea of a pirate fest, wes. Not sure 'bout th' St Louis Pirate Fest, all I know is it's set in a Ren Fair local. Not all that piraty if ye ask me. We need a big mass o' water, ships or boats, space to battle, have encampments, etc.

And like the lot of ye, I, too, am landlocked and marooned. Tis hours to th' nearest Pirate Fest, and even longer to th' better pirate events in my region. Doesn't dim m' outlook or prospects. If I could, I'd attend them all.

~Lady B

Arrr.if it's a good event... as you well know...it's worth the more than a few hours drive t' get there! Aye- we're picking and choosing our events this year- and yeah, many are far away- but we're adventurous pirates after all!

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

I have driven to several events in my area, one of my favorites is Fort de Chartres in Prairie du Rocher Illinois. I usually go alone, but end up meeting with other guys in our BP club. Heck, I didnt even get to make it out to the St. Louis Pirate Fest due to work scheduling/kids soccer/etc.....

I guess I need to see if maybe the Pirate Fest would be interested in having actual water on site, but as was posted above, its all good if your having fun!

I tried for years to get a re-constructed fort built in the city, at no cost to them, but never got a reply. It was brought up this past summer at my Master review board though, and I think they were almost trying to joke about it until I told them that most re-enactors dont have an issue with spending money for a quality location/event. I explained the cost of putting together a BASIC kit (historically accurate) and that kind of got their attention.

Thats another reason I decided to go "full pirate", seems to be more fun, a better group of people, and less stitch nazis......that really burned me, when the newbie comes up to start picking apart your kit because it looks old. I explained to them that if you actually WEAR it and DO stuff in it, it looks worn/old/sometimes tattered......yupper, you pirates are WAY cool!!

Sorry, I am off the soap box!!!

Wes

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

There you go. That's how it's done! Nice and positive..

Of course there will be restrictions and limitations. Of course there will be financial and emotional roller coaster rides. Of course there will be idiots and fabulous folks. It involves other people but that does not mean you can't do what Wes is doing. Just decide where your failures are and your successes are and change what you need to change in order to make it all work out for you.

Doing anything with gov is tough. Denise (Jack Sparrow impersonator on Van Island and a long time friend of ours) met me before I had even started BC Renfest. She was trying to start a pirate fest over there and there was so much 'dancing' that she, in the end, had to give it up. That was approx. 6 years ago and she still works hard to keep a small group together over there and accomplish something that she can call hers. They do small parties and outings, as well her and her family do pirate family outings and gigs,l so it is a matter of listening to who you want support from and be willing to modify for them or go independent.

OH! Another example. We are now part of Tourism Langley and that took 4 years of figuring out what we can give them and what they are able to give us without challenging their budget (Permits alone are sooo pricey here) or their format. Even if the money comes from us they still need to know that they are supporting and assisting in something that adds their image of what they need in Tourism. I find it interesting to discover that in some cases it was a matter of people I had on the team and how they worked or acted (incomplete contracts, aggressive rude or inconsiderate actors, folks using illegal substances or getting drunk, people allowing insecurities to control them in front of important folk, etc.) and it took me years to figure out who and what (no one ever tells you that people are treating them a particular way so I started asking) and then had to take the step to let them go. Even my own approach with a select number of important people had to be modified so I could find what I need. It's not personal. It's a desire to make myself and my audience happy. If it's not getting wrapped up in people who aren't willing to count a productive group as important (gov., business, team, friends, etc.) and/or insist on being miserable no matter what you do (team, friends, family), or raising money to do the smallest - biggest thing (movie night, party, single ship to full event) doesn't matter. I am NOT giving me up, yet I am moving ahead and that's the point.

Money, location, people.. All factors.

Now Lady B. Honey.... Your show great determination to be 'pirate' and have fun with it (considering your determination to get your pirate name on your FB ID) so go out there and have some fun and don't let people and 'lack of' bring you down.

Elena. I know the internet is your primary source and being located where you are, it has to be a little tough but take a look on the net. Is there a museum or educational center you can contribute to? Romania has to have a 'pirate history' as well. Maybe you can encourage an educational day and go on out to volunteer. I know different countries have different 'restrictions', cultural controls and laws but there has to be something that can educate the kids. Maybe getting involved with something like that once a year will give you something to look forward to... Maybe?

Rest of you BRAVO for your determination as well. I see hints of being able to do pirate outings and that makes me smile.

And Wes. Soap box is there for a reason. Hey.... Splinter gets the crew to carry his into the pub for his moments. Handy things.

I discovered during the Hyack Parade that The Seattle Seafair Pirates don't need one (pretty big without :D ) but some of us need a little help and that's what communication like this is for.

The end of the year is near

And it is time to cheer

Time to start anew

Show you've learned and grew

We'll have good times

Leave the crap behind

Piracy adventures

Both your's and mine

Let's hear it for an INCREDIBLE 2011!!!

Charity Ann Rackham

Captain of the Jade Dragon

Admiral of the Rackham Fleet

British Columbia, Canada

FaceBook (Christina Carr AKA Charity Ann Rackham - as well as a Jade Dragon Pirates page)

Myspace (carrhunger is the personal one and Jadedragonpirates is the other)

BCRF page is: http://www.bcrenfest.com

Jade Dragon: http://www.jadedragonpirates.com

May our ships pass peacefully in the night. Note I say nothing of the day.

JDpyracy150.jpg

Oh, don't get me wrong on pirate events and all. Granted some are better than others. Tis obvious. As I stated, I fancy piracy so much I drive 5+ hours to events. No matter which direction I have to go. Some years, I just can't get to them due to multiple reasons, but I enjoy the events.

I've been to both type of piracy events, and the water adds a bit of magic to it. For me at least it does, and the more realistic and historical, the more it feels like a pirate event. As though I can feel ol' Blackbeard himself walkin' beside me!

The fort sounds like a brilliant idea, Wes. And you are right. Granted, what kills a lot of events and projects... is funding. That's ALWAYS been the stumbling block. Granted there are some folks out there who are Scrouges, but when it boils down to it, if you haven't the whole thing bloody well ironed out 200% - counting insurance, funding, etc - then it's not gonna happen. Sad. Pathetically sad. Apparently they haven't heard th' saying "If you build it, they will come!". And with reenactors... AYE! If you have it set up, get the word out and guaranteed they WILL come! Sometimes, timing is what it takes.

Hopefully, them knuckleheads 'll build this fort of yo'rs wes.

Oh, none too worry there, Charity. I've the drive and determination. Hell, I'm STILL trying to get a crew going.

Again, don't get me wrong, mates. These are topics all discussed before. :) We just roll with the punches.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I know what ya mean when ya say that you're landlocked, I'm stuck in Ohio, and even though we have the Great Lakes, there's not a single pirate festival on them, sure there's the Niagra but that's in PA, and not even a pirate ship. I've actually toyed with the idea of building a pirate fest on Kelley's Island or something like that.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.

And where be ye in Ohio? Me, I'm marooned in Akron OH, currently suffering the winter of my discontent (bein' that it's now winter, and I be discontented about it). I did have the benefit of a cruise down to the original Republic of Pirates, New Providence Island (that'd be Nassau, to lubbers) in October on the Carnival Pride (a decidedly un-piratey vessel, but a good cruise all the same), so that helps a bit.

I know what ya mean when ya say that you're landlocked, I'm stuck in Ohio, and even though we have the Great Lakes, there's not a single pirate festival on them, sure there's the Niagra but that's in PA, and not even a pirate ship. I've actually toyed with the idea of building a pirate fest on Kelley's Island or something like that.

Damn, thats sharp!