Charles Towne Landing- Founder's Day

Tartan Jack

I'm back home and after having an bug (had fevers on the way home and last night).

Anyways,

I wanted to publicly than the wonderful and knowledgeable staff and rangers at the Charles Towne Landing historic site (where Charleston, SC started before moving across the Ashley River to Oyster Point).

While there, I had the opportunity to:

- Show people around the Adventure, a reproduction of a 1670s trading ketch.

- Sleep on said Adventure.

- Fire a reproduction Saker, as part of a battery of 2 sakers and 2 demi-culverns. We used period-correct commands too.

- Hang out w/ a bunch of cool and neat reenactors from Florida and Maryland (St Mary's) at a period camp. For those there, I'm "John" who was there Friday-Sunday as a seaman.

- Discuss period stuff and teach visitors about the period.

This belongs in "beyond piracy" as it IS NOT a pirate event. It is a anniversary celebration of the founding of the city. There are 1670s reenactors and local folks who volunteer at the park and wear period kit too. The park heads do a GREAT job at capturing the feel of the 1670s.

Also, the ketch would make a terrible pirate vessel- more like a pirate target. We got the "are you pirates?" question plenty enough, so I denied it and talked about what pirates would do if they captured a vessel of this type, as well as the "classic" pirates being from 40 years later.

I'm posting this to let Capt. Twill-types know about this event and how great it was. It would be one to consider for those willing to make the drive. I had a BLAST! (Literally and metaphorically)

Also, I'd like to let all those who I met and forgot to give contact info too (esp. the St Augustine and St Mary's folks). Quite a few seem to have been on here, as we ended up discussing pirates a fair amount among ourselves.

Now . . .

I'm gonna need to put together the rest of a mid-1600s-1670s kit . . .

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg