What's your opinion?

Wasn't sure if this was right for here but wanted to get some opinions:

So as many of you know I used to play Blackbeard in Teach's Hole Pirate Shop in Ocracoke NC for a number of years. While there I filmed a show for TBS on Blackbeard, was an honored guest every night at Howard's Pub, did a number of appearances for local, state and national events and was treated like a local hero. It was great while it lasted but do my divorse I moved away from the island and made port in Raleigh NC. I was recently contacted by a local shop owner who is an old friend in Hatteras to do a 1 to 2 hr show for him at his shop to attract the kids and their parents with hopefully open wallets. He knows I live in Raleigh now, and knows How long i have been plaing Blackbeard. He asked how much it would cost and I told him for one day since it was a 6 hr drive I would have to stay overnight so with travel, accomidations and gas it would be $525. Now I thought this was fair given it would cost $100 for the hotel, $75 in gas, $30 budgeted fir travel and at $0.52 a mile for business travel plus my $175 appearance fee I was actually cutting him a deal. I also told him to get the best return on his investment I could do a longer show on saturday and come back sunday afternoon for $775. I explained if he could find accomidations for under $100 the fee would go down but the other expenses were standard business practice for me. Well he took offense and wants to negotiate the cost. I understand his position as a small businesss owner but tourist season is comming and I know how much of a crowd Blackbeard will draw for him. I'm willing to drop the appearance fee a little but I feel for a 6 hr trip both ways I an being more than fair. If he doesn't repond back to me it's no loss to me, but the extra money would help right now. Does anyone think I was being unreasonable?

Not at all, we do this, spend OUR money for others to prophit because we love it but to do a service for someone for their business that is another story. I think we should get paid for events, we are what draws in the public and public dollars and we PAY to have fun mind you but from a business point of view, we should NEVER PAY a fee to attend, is it not enough we are the show. So what you are suggesting is fine by me. So do not feel ever to get paid, natives reenactors get piad to come to events. I want to do a native impression but not for that reason. The business owner will make it up the cost.

Wasn't sure if this was right for here but wanted to get some opinions:

So as many of you know I used to play Blackbeard in Teach's Hole Pirate Shop in Ocracoke NC for a number of years. While there I filmed a show for TBS on Blackbeard, was an honored guest every night at Howard's Pub, did a number of appearances for local, state and national events and was treated like a local hero. It was great while it lasted but do my divorse I moved away from the island and made port in Raleigh NC. I was recently contacted by a local shop owner who is an old friend in Hatteras to do a 1 to 2 hr show for him at his shop to attract the kids and their parents with hopefully open wallets. He knows I live in Raleigh now, and knows How long i have been plaing Blackbeard. He asked how much it would cost and I told him for one day since it was a 6 hr drive I would have to stay overnight so with travel, accomidations and gas it would be $525. Now I thought this was fair given it would cost $100 for the hotel, $75 in gas, $30 budgeted fir travel and at $0.52 a mile for business travel plus my $175 appearance fee I was actually cutting him a deal. I also told him to get the best return on his investment I could do a longer show on saturday and come back sunday afternoon for $775. I explained if he could find accomidations for under $100 the fee would go down but the other expenses were standard business practice for me. Well he took offense and wants to negotiate the cost. I understand his position as a small businesss owner but tourist season is comming and I know how much of a crowd Blackbeard will draw for him. I'm willing to drop the appearance fee a little but I feel for a 6 hr trip both ways I an being more than fair. If he doesn't repond back to me it's no loss to me, but the extra money would help right now. Does anyone think I was being unreasonable?

Thomas Alleman

I agree. I just felt offended that he basically said he didn't think I was worth that much. I am not trying to brag or argue my value. I spent over 2 years in costume 24 hrs a day in Ocracoke and could not go five feet without stopping to pose for a pic or answer questions. It got to the point where Teach's Hole made me sign a contract because they were afraid someone would try and steal me away with an offer of more $$. I think $175 for an appearance fee is more than acceptable for someone who has over 9 years experience as Blackbeard. Not to mention I spent 7 years living on the island so people know my name. I'll work with him to a point but I'm not lowering my appearance fee because he doesn't think I'm worth it. He thought I was worth it when he brought his kids every weekend to see me perform in the summer.

Capt. Scurvy, Aye, Mate. T'is meself, Dutch o' th "Meka"II. Before I retired and that was a while ago, I wouldn't step aboard a boat to move it for less than $150 a day running inside. Offshore was a different story entirely. If there was the least "grumble" I'd say "find someone else." If they are going to start whinning before you perform your part of the contract, you know they'll really start crying when it's time to pay you!!

I make decorative knotwork. I believe the work is pretty good after all the years of practice. When someone asks me how much the pieces are and I tell them and the reaction is "That's a lot of money!" I ask them if they're are willing to work for $5.00 an hour. Because I'm not.

No sir! Don't sell yourself short. If he can't appreciate a Six Hour Drive and the cost on your vehicle and the fact that your time is worth something while you're on the road, too, he can't afford you! This is something that will enhance his business like advertising and baby, that ain't free!

As usual, that's my two cents! I look forward to seeing you at the Beaufort Invasion. Our website is now up! www.beaufortpirateinvasion.com

Take care, Dutch "X" (his mark)

Also don't forget the money you have invested in your costume. Like Capn'Rob stated if he's bitching now wait till you try to get paid. Get everything in writing including exactly how long he wants the show/appearance to last and I wouldn't negotiate a penny less unless he wants to book the hotel himself. Oh and get 1/2 upfront first and if he extends the appearance get 1/2 upfront for the extended time. Your costume and experience make you valuable if not to him then someone else. Just my 2 or 3 cents. LOL