Would all Pirates have Blades?

Korisios

I have to say that we must remenber that there is differense between those pirates who plundered fishing vessels in boston and those like B. Robets or E. England who were more succesful, so weaponry like clothing or ship's size would tell how succesful pirates were... ^_^

Ah, you see, that's what I was talking about, it's all about context and circumstances.

As for swords in seaman's effects, not sure. I've yet to encounter one, plus I am not sure how it would go over with a merchant captain for the crew to be arming themselves. He did often keep the weapons intended for ship defense locked up, so I don't think he would take to a common crewmember bringing one onboard.

As for that History channel clip, they got quite a bit of that right (surprisingly) especially the first half. But, the firearms they had were all models after our time period, with the exception of the pistols that could be from as early as about 1720, but it's hard to say.

If I would be merchant captain I would keep the weapons locked up.... since if you pay tiny salary (and that is what captains often did) there is always chance of mutiny and I would be nervous if crew would pad around with swords and pistols :P

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif