Replica 1715 view of ye general and coasting trade-winds, monsoons or

PoD

This is a replica of a 1715 chart of A view of ye general and coasting trade-winds, monsoons or ye shifting trade winds through ye world, variations & c. According to the newest and most exact observations, by H. Moll geographer.

med_gallery_10743_189_12279.jpg

med_gallery_10743_189_10483.jpg

This map was compiled with information collected on the voyages of William Dampier.

It is printed on period correct Linen and cotton rag laid paper and is about 8" x 21" (the correct size of the original)

$25

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

These charts and their information were continuosly recorded and averaged and later became known as "Pilot Charts". I have only used a Pilot Chart once. It was on my Pacific crossing, Panama to the Marquesas, Fr. Polynesia and then up to Hawaii. They have "wind roses" and "current roses" through out the Ocean and are in sets of four, one for each season. The amazing thing to me was the acuracy. The most important was crossing the easterly counter currents, the "Doldrums". Fuel was dear so we didn't want to motor much. We looked to cross at the most narrow place and the chart was Spot On! We only motored for a half a day and although short on distance, we sailed the day before and after. The downside, the charts showed some pretty nasty weather just on the edge of the Trades and the counters and they were right!

So I guess if you keep records of sea conditions for over 300 years, your averages start to get close! The Charts you have made are Beautiful. If I did not live on a boat with room for current charts, I should like to own one to remember the experience of the Pilot Chart.

Wow nice work! Huzzah! Nice to hear confirmaton on the accuracy of such as well. I am taking a nav class which makes this quite interesting.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

This particular chart shows the directions of the winds for the whole year rather than being seasonal. There are areas that have the months of the year next to the corresponding direction arrows.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Damnit man! Ye make it difficult fo' a person t' save their doubloons!

:::Whimpers; starts counting their coinage:::

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!