Pirate Colony

The Island

I am wondering if any pirates started or intended to start a pirate colony? I read in Seitz book " Under the Black Flag" he wrote about Richard Worley during his capture and death that aboard his ship were 30 woman that were going to basically set up shop on an inlet in the Bahamas to start a pirate colony. What do you guys think about this any thoughts?

Edited by The Island

My favorite pirate ship name "The Night Rambler"

I am wondering if any pirates started or intended to start a pirate colony? I read in Seitz book " Under the Black Flag" he wrote about Richard Worley during his capture and death that aboard his ship were 30 woman that were going to basically set up shop on an inlet in the Bahamas to start a pirate colony. What do you guys think about this any thoughts?

Well, in 1715-1718 New Providence came fairly close to being a pirate colony, and as noted in another thread there were possibly plans to move base to Bermuda round about 1717-18, but the closest any pirates of the golden age came to starting a pirate colony was probably on St. Mary's Island, Madagascar, in the 1690s.

The women aboard Worley's ship were convicted felons who were being transported to the colonies on a ship that Worley captured. By the time Worley was defeated it was reported that many of the women had taken 'husbands' from amongst the pirate crew.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Island, you might try reading Colin Woodard's The Republic of Pirates, which is the only book I know of devoted mainly to the Nassau pirate base. I haven't read much of it myself, but I consulted it while I was writing my article on Stede Bonnet's downfall, and the few pages on Bonnet were very detailed, well researched, and matched the primary sources quite well.

You should look to the Island of Madagascar (St Marys I think) and the pirates of Henry Avery's ilk. They were almost successful in setting up a colony that lasted. In fact reports are that some of the pirates kin can still be traced there.

Avery just happens to be my fav pirate and one of the most, if not the most successful pirates ever. Just look up the Gunsway

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Every was never at St. Mary's, but for a remarkably good biography of one of the most fascinating pirates of the era I can thoroughly recommend THIS BOOK

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Every was never at St. Mary's, but for a remarkably good biography of one of the most fascinating pirates of the era I can thoroughly recommend THIS BOOK

I dunno about that book; I heard the author is dodgy. ;):D:rolleyes: (That's Ed's book and I'm teasing him. It's a fine, well researched book.)

Of course, if you want a good book about Madagascar settlements, there's always this fine work of fiction.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

...I heard the author is dodgy. ...(That's Ed's book and I'm teasing him

That doesn't necessarily mean the author isn't dodgy :rolleyes:

Though not without its flaws, the best book about the St. Mary's pirates currently available is probably Rogozinski's Honor Among Thieves. FWIW, I think Charles Grey's Pirates of the Eastern Seas is a better read, but harder to find and long out of print, and it isn't footnoted if you care about such things.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

You're recommending him after all that b!tching we used to do about Rogozinski?! (Well, someone used to do...I don't recall who. It wasn't Tony, was it?)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

You're recommending him after all that b!tching we used to do about Rogozinski?! (Well, someone used to do...I don't recall who. It wasn't Tony, was it?)

I certainly wouldn't recommend his A-Z of pirates - it's crap (and I think that's what we all used to b!tch about, led by Tony). Honor Among Thieves is better, but, as I noted, still flawed (badly in some respects). Sadly, although a much better book about the Madagascar pirates is certainly waiting to be written it's... well... still waiting.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk