Captain Morgan Jumps Ship

hurricane

Wow, here's a slap to a U.S. territory. Talk about acting like a pirate:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/08/2010-03-08_parade_gives_rum_heaveyohoho.html

Puerto Rican Day Parade giving boot to Captain Morgan Rum

BY Jane H. Furse

DAILY NEWS WRITER

Originally Published:Monday, March 8th 2010, 1:21 AM

Updated: Monday, March 8th 2010, 11:16 AM

Hey, Captain: Take a hike!

The National Puerto Rican Day Parade is giving the boot to Captain Morgan Rum over its decision to move production from Puerto Rico to St. Croix.

After 30 years as a corporate sponsor, Captain Morgan and its parent company, Diageo, "are no longer welcome," parade Chairwoman Madelyn Lugo announced Sunday.

"This parade is about pride and respect, and Captain Morgan has shown us neither," Lugo said.

Johnny Walker and Jose Cuervo, the London-based company's other brands, also can take a hike, Lugo said.

The U.S. Virgin Islands lured Captain Morgan to St. Croix by promising to split the $150 million in federal excise tax rebates it expects to receive yearly on sales in the United States.

With unemployment at 16% and one in three people living below the poverty line, Puerto Rico stands to lose 3,000 jobs and the $150 million in annual tax rebates, said Javier Vazquez-Morales of the Puerto Rico Industrial Development Co.

Tax rebates generated $470 million for Puerto Rico last year.

The move by the Virgin Islands also could spark a booze battle that could "lead to economic chaos and, perhaps, to the end of the program," Vazquez-Morales said.

The decision by parade officials will put "serious pressure" on New York's congressional delegation to support proposed legislation to regulate how the tax revenues are distributed, said Rafael Fantauzzi of the the National Puerto Rican Coalition.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/03/08/2010-03-08_parade_gives_rum_heaveyohoho.html#ixzz0hhbTQfNN

No more Morgan's for me.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com