Thompson

The Island

Guys,

Maybe you can help, I think this pirate captain Thompson is a ghost in terms of info like Napin and Nichols are. This is another one mentioned in Cordingly's book "Under the Black Flag" page 119 "In Dec. 1718 Governor Lawes of Jamaica sent out two sloops to capture a pirate ship commanded by Capt. Thompson, who had the nerve to take a merchant ship within sight of Port Royal Harbor. The first sloop to reach the pirates was shocked into submission when the pirates threw vast numbers of powder flasks, granado shells, and stinkpots into her which killed and wounded several and made others jump overboard. the second sloop was so demoralized by the attack that she fled back to harbor".

The balls on this Thompson to bluntly do this sounds like Vane to me and then to wait and attack two sloops armed coming at him simply amazing!!

Have you guys heard anything at all more of him. I could find only this one source? I thought maybe he was a pirate captain Thompson mentioned in Jenifer Marx book. She mentions a Thompson called " Red Hand" back in the 1690's ???

Edited by The Island

My favorite pirate ship name "The Night Rambler"

• 3 weeks later...

A pirate captain named Thompson is mentioned in the source I just found.

two [sloops] commanded by Capt. Lidderdale and Capt. Naylor . . . retook the Kingston, Capt. Saunders of London, whose Cargo amounted to 20000 l. Sterling, and destroyed the Pyrate (Thompson) who had taken him.

On the other hand, in the very next line, Boyer says that Barnet captured Rackham in 1717, which is wrong by three years, so there's cause to doubt his accuracy.

Edited by Daniel