Flintlocks wanted/for Sale

Col. Hawkyns

Aye again!!

Here is another flintlock some of ye may be interested in. Any advice on this one?

another ebay flintlock

thanks

Col. Hawkyns

Looks to me like what's called around 18th century circles, a barn gun. Something put together with leftover parts, or made up from a couple of broken guns. Nothing fancy, just something that you'd keep in the barn for getting foxes or other vermin. You don't often see them in pistol size, but that is surely what it looks like. Looking at it, I'd say it's a cut down from a longer piece. The forestock end looks roughly cut off and not finished the same as the rest of the stock. The buttcap doesn't fit the stock correctly, and that screw is right where the heel of your hand would go. Painful!!

Depends what you're looking for. As a curiosity for a collection, OK. As a carry piece, I think you'll look like a down on your luck pirate who can't afford better. As a shooter, make your hospital reservations first.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aaaaargh..... rats..... I was hoping that this thread would be about buying and selling ( or setting up sorta kinda) on guns......

being the poor pyrate that I am, I have to go to rendezvous to look for gun parts.... (I have two extra cap locks (just the locks) .... need a flintlock and gun barrel... use to do "Mountaiman".... so have some good stuff to trade...... )

as an aside... I was looking at the screwbarrel pistol that Dixie was selling for about $150 ..... buy one at a time when I had some money.... but about three of them would make a nice "boarding" set up...... (Capt. Gary... I'd deal with the reloading later....... 8).... heck... I don't need a ramrod RIGHT now..... )

• 2 weeks later...

Which screw barrel gun? If it be caplocks yer after, check out Dixie Gunworks' web site and check out the following items...

Pedersoli Screw Barrel pistol (for $115)

The same gun is available as a kit for $100

...and I suspect you're looking for the flintlock screw barrel pistol, which now runs for $167.

They also have a couple of original antiques for sale... but they are rather pricey.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

aaaaargh..... rats..... I was hoping that this thread would be about buying and selling ( or setting up sorta kinda) on guns......

being the poor pyrate that I am, I have to go to rendezvous to look for gun parts.... (I have two extra cap locks (just the locks) .... need a flintlock and gun barrel... use to do "Mountaiman".... so have some good stuff to trade...... )

as an aside... I was looking at the screwbarrel pistol that Dixie was selling for about $150 ..... buy one at a time when I had some money.... but about three of them would make a nice "boarding" set up...... (Capt. Gary... I'd deal with the reloading later....... 8).... heck... I don't need a ramrod RIGHT now..... )

Due to Poison Quill's Queene Ann, and others, we went to deckside ramrods, eliminating a lot of breakage. They've been 'standard' equipment on the binnacle for quite some time now....And the linstocks for the deck guns make dandy ramrods for all the blunderbuss now aboard..( betwixt the first mate and second officer 'o the guns, thar be 5 ondeck most times now).....Mo' powder, matees!

:lol:

My pirate sea chest (which lays next to my Civil War gear) has to date contained several fancy non-firing flintlock replicas -- just props, just for (costume) show, but it's an impressive looking collection of pirate props!

Alas, while I have an impressive collection of black powder Civil War era guns, I have had no FIRING firearms from an earlier time. The only (grey area) exception to date was a caplock similar to the one posted above by the Royaliste (sixth post in this very forum)...

Well, that was until today! Hah! My wife, who typically spends WAY too much on me on holidays, got me a Pedersoli Queene Anne (flintlock) Pistol fer Christmas. SCORE! *(does the happy dance)* :lol:

So -- sorry, Mr. Hand, while I'm not in the market to be selling ye any firearms, I sure am happy te be reportin' on a new acquisition!

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Alas, while I have an impressive collection of black powder Civil War era guns, I have had no FIRING firearms from an earlier time. The only (grey area) exception to date was a caplock similar to the one posted above by the Royaliste (sixth post in this very forum)...

Well, that was until today! Hah! My wife, who typically spends WAY too much on me on holidays, got me a Pedersoli Queene Anne (flintlock) Pistol fer Christmas. SCORE! *(does the happy dance)* :lol:

So -- sorry, Mr. Hand, while I'm not in the market to be selling ye any firearms, I sure am happy te be reportin' on a new acquisition!

Not sure 'o your reference, mate..I've posted nothing on a caplock,....'nary a one to me name, 'cept the mods to my cannons.........all flink hereabouts...

And this one be a 'caplock'....

PH0440.jpg

affectionately referred to by me first mate as a 'capgun'!!

Royaliste:

I am refering to your February 10, 2004 post -- the sixth item in this forum - quoted above. You were simply illustrating a caplock, but made no claims to owning one.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 1 month later...

VICTORY! I be the king of all plunder!

In a flea market today I picked up three (three! Count 'em! Three!) flintlocks! You heard me -- three! For a measly hundred clams! Three! One Hundred! Me!

Two seem to be very close in design to a British sea-service pistol (they bear the "Tower" and "GR" crown marks). They look very much like the one in this picture:

Tower%20Sea-Service.jpg

One is in real decent condition, the other is rather banged up. After a little clean-up work, I think these will both fire.

The third is a bit of a mystery. It is extensively inlaid (with mother of pearl, or faux ivory, or bone?) with thin brass ornamentation all over. However, it cannot fire without extensive work... the flashpan does not make contact with the touchhole (there is a sizeable gap), I suspect the entire lock should be replaced, and -- worst of all -- there appears to be a serious "lip" inside the end of the barrel of the gun, which would have the undesireavble effect of stopping any bullet from trying to get out. The whole thing has the appearance of "folk craft," which is odd, considering how much real hardware seems to have been used. However, it makes an absolutely wonderful prop!

Nice haul, eh?

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I would venture to say so!., yes for 100.00 bones you got the deal., mine were 300.00 each..,therefore I have only 2 "a pat on the back mate.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

In a flea market today I picked up three flintlocks! 

Two seem to be very close in design to a British sea-service pistol (they bear the "Tower" and "GR" crown marks). 

The third is a bit of a mystery.  It is extensively inlaid (with mother of pearl, or faux ivory, or bone?) with thin brass ornamentation all over. 

An excellent haul, indeed, considering you can probably sell 'em on eBay for $100 each! True pirate plunder.

As a cautionary note, if you are fixing these up to be firing weapons, please examine the barrels carefully. There were a lot of cheap "Tower" pistols produced in Japan that had inferior barrels. Make sure the breech plug (the "closed" end of the barrel) is securely welded in place, and the barrel is of good thickness to hold a charge.

The inlaid pistol sounds like a middle eastern non-firing replica. Many of these are made for the tourist trade and "antiqued" to make them look old. The "fit and finish" of these is typically poor, and the barrels will not stand firing. If so, this is best left as a showpiece, as the work needed to make this a real firearm will be extensive.

These are just "common sense" warnings, as I haven't seen your guns and thus have no idea of their condition!

:angry: :angry: :huh:

Greetings,

I am looking for kits or replica full firing matchlocks, snapchances, or doglock (flintlocks) that are relatively elizabethan in nature or comes close to the period. I would even commission a period peice if the price is right and I know several individuals approximately 10 to 15 that would snap at the chance for someone to locate them or do the custom work. Please PM if you can assist or have any information to point me towards.

Thanks,

Capt'N Sin

An excellent haul, indeed, considering you can probably sell 'em on eBay for $100 each! True pirate plunder.

As a cautionary note, if you are fixing these up to be firing weapons, please examine the barrels carefully. There were a lot of cheap "Tower" pistols produced in Japan that had inferior barrels. Make sure the breech plug (the "closed" end of the barrel) is securely welded in place, and the barrel is of good thickness to hold a charge.

The inlaid pistol sounds like a middle eastern non-firing replica. Many of these are made for the tourist trade and "antiqued" to make them look old. The "fit and finish" of these is typically poor, and the barrels will not stand firing. If so, this is best left as a showpiece, as the work needed to make this a real firearm will be extensive.

WHAT!?! Sell them? What, are ye insane? (ask me sometime about the $5 Civil War fleam I found in an antique store; the guy had NO idea what it was. It could easily fetch me $50, $70, or even $100, but it will remain forever my $5 fleam... next to my $40 bone saw).

Thanks for the input, especially about the Japan Tower barrels. One has some inscription which has been scribed off... and it appears to be Japanese lettering under the abrasion -- so I am not surprised to hear your post. I was quite sick (fever, heavy medication, etc.) when I purchased these yesterday, so I need to give them a very, very careful examination.

Okay, no time like the present. I just looked at them under better light, and without a raging fever. One is marked "JAPAN" and "HAWES"; the other clearly had "JAPAN" and something else, which may or may not have been Japanese lettering (or LG or EG, or some other mystic runes), but all has been obliterated by heavy scribing/filing. Otherwise, they look fine. They both need to be cleaned -- the HAWES one more than the other. I may save all my live firing for the Queen Anne that I am assembling.

Your assessment of the "Middle Eastern" one appears dead on. I would have to be in mortal fear for my life to try to live fire that one... and I would resort instead to using it as a club. It is one hell of a nice looking prop, however. Upon examination, I realize the the necessary retro-fit work needed to make it fireable would be wiser spent in building a new one from scratch.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Greetings,

I am looking for kits or replica full firing matchlocks, snapchances, or doglock (flintlocks) that are relatively elizabethan in nature or comes close to the period. I would even commission a period peice if the price is right and I know several individuals approximately 10 to 15 that would snap at the chance for someone to locate them or do the custom work. Please PM if you can assist or have any information to point me towards.

Thanks,

Capt'N Sin

There are several sources for kits, but I swear by Dixie Gun Works.

Their online catalog can steer you to many good kits (try searching for "flintlock" and "kit" for starters). One advantage is that many of their products have very useful on-line reviews written by other buyers, which reveal such helpful things as "very easy to build" or "the parts did not fit well and the gun was far more complicated than my skill level."

But there are other sources, and I am certain that others will chime in with their preferences. Don't buy anything until you hear from Hawkyns, IMHO.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I have a kinda nice Middle Eastern flintlock PROP....

what I can't figure out is why they spent so much time making the internal springs and tumblers.... when the barrel is only a chunk of pipe... with NO breach plug.....

I would never try to fire it...... it would be a hand held pipe bomb... :huh:

Purchased some more gun cleaning supplies this weekend and went to work on the shabbier of the two Sea Service pistols. When I was done, my hands were black, but the nastier one looked better than the other! Ye-Hah! (Sorry, still in cowboy mode) I am so psyched! Have a matching pair... although the wood stains do not precisely match...

Now if I could just score me some flints... Still kicking myself about not purchasing that $20 cigar box full of broken flint arrowheads... except I had just spent $100 less than 30 minutes earlier on three flintlocks, and was totally spent -- in every sense of the word.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

UPDATE... Scored a dozen pieces of flint from an arrowhead collector (eBay); these napping cast-offs did not pass muster for a collection, and I have a lifetime supply for less than $11.00.

Last night I pulled out a couple of large (heavy, antique) tools and started smacking away at a couple of the more promising pieces -- I napped and trimmed a couple of squares which perfectly for the sea service 'locks.... tried one (the one that required less cleaning) and it sparked up a storm! Huzzah!

The other, sadly, did not seem to have the spring strength (perhaps wrong angle of pieces?) to make sparks. It's not the flint. This will require some thinking.

Matched set o' pirate pistols. One works great. Still have an unbelievably awesome-looking Middle Eastern bone-inlaid flintlock which I could sell or trade... or just for show.

Hundred bucks (toss in 11 for the flint). Still a good deal.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

If this is one of the Japanese pistols from a few years back, the problem is likely that your frizzen is not hardened. Many of these came out without a good steel frizzen. the flint scrapes nice lines in the face, but narry a spark in sight.

Try this

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/p...partNum=KASENIT

Follow the directions and you can case harden the frizzen and get sparks. You may need to change the mainspring too, but I'd harden ther frizzen first.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

UPDATE...  Scored a dozen pieces of flint from an arrowhead collector (eBay); these napping cast-offs did not pass muster for a collection, and I have a lifetime supply for less than $11.00.

Jeeesh!..If a few dozen flints are lasting a lifetime, you are either really 'old', or must not shoot much!..Great to hear about the arrowheads, but 'tis hard to beat good quality English flints....We're pretty ruff on 'em..I'm for pinchin' a few centavos me own self, but seldom on firearms and weaponry the could possibly destroy me..

Darkthing wrote-

"As a cautionary note, if you are fixing these up to be firing weapons, please examine the barrels carefully. There were a lot of cheap "Tower" pistols produced in Japan that had inferior barrels. Make sure the breech plug (the "closed" end of the barrel) is securely welded in place, and the barrel is of good thickness to hold a charge. "

No need to weld the breech plug in place. It can be securely tightened in a vise using a wrench (just like it was done in the old days). Barrel thickness is not indicative of production flaws, therefore proofing is necessary on a suspect arm.

At a gun range or safe location, remove the barrel from the weapon and load it with twice the recommended charge of black powder (patched, no ball). If it can withstand this test, try it with the same powder charge and a patched ball. If the barrel survives with no bursting or swelling, it's capable of withstanding the recommended charge. By the way, use a length of fuse to fire the charge (some individuals place the barrel or weapon on a bench or tire and use sandbags to keep it in place). Wallace Gusler, in "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" had the barrel wedged to a board and ran a train of powder (wasteful).

I've never had to proof a modern replica, the steel is far superior to what was available in the 17th and 18th centuries. Even modern day "gunsmiths" who offer expensive reproductions use machine turned and bored barrels (Gusler, of course, make EVERYTHING scratch- the film is highly recommended).

Yours, &c.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

mmmmm no..If you want to fire them.., consider maybe retiring., If you lose a finger or Maim a hand ., it could very well damage your ability to provide for your family.

I have to go with Capn Glen (The Royaliste).

Do Not Cheap Out On Firearms.

Get one that works ., a real one and just go from there.

A Prop is cool for a festival..., but not intended to be used as a gunpowder combustion chamber.

Winchester has designers and engineers that lay this stuff out on paper..,Colt does.,Smith and Wesson do., Tower was tried and tested for a few Centuries....,

Probably better to experiment with a real weapon than creating your first one from a forum?

Choose wisely

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Went to another flea market today and found the same lady with the $20 box of arrowheads. I did NOT pass up the deal this time. NOW I have enough to last a lifetime!

Yes, I know that European flints are considered superior... but there just aren't that many to be had hereabouts. Several years ago, I purchased a half dozen, but I'll be darned if I know where I put 'em. So it's broken pieces of arrowheads for me... and these new ones are already napped to the perfect size!

So, this afternoon, I pulled out the better of the two (working) guns, tossed some powder in the pan, pulled back the hammer.... Click - POOF! Nice cumbustion.

All you guys worrying about my blowing my face/hand off, rest assured: (1) I have almost 20 years experience with black powder weapons, so I am NOT a novice and (2) I really do not intend on using lead balls in these things. I'll save that for the Queen Anne (still yet to be...).

Hawkyns, I suspect you are right. The frizz on the other one generates no sparks, but I suspect there is a problem with the spring, as well -- the action of the hammer does not open the frizzen all the way. Still -- looks GREAT as a matching set.

Oh-- back to today's fleas market .... I also ran into the guy from whom I bought the three guns for a hunnert bucks. He had nothing interesting with him today, but promised to bring some more next time (one month from now). Hmmm.... updates later, I suspect...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

OH! I totally forgot! I also picked up today a small (very small) powder horn for $5. I already have a full-size one (these are cow-horn horns -- of course, I already have several bronze / copper ones for Civil War shooting) but this small horn is a perfect size for pan charging, IMHO. It's a little over 5" long.

Today was another good day to be a pirate.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I wish I could find a small horn for pans an vents. Sounds like a good day indeed., please post photos if ya can., I especially would like to see the queen anne. In stages even I love projects., there awesome.