Cranes

sutlerjon

Anybody got any ideas fer cookin' these big chickens? :angry:

We been fryin' em ..... but I'm getting tired of wing. :D

We've been workin' on the same one fer 2 days now!

They just keep comin' to the house.

They are a little over 3' tall!

Really loud and funny as heck to watch. They can put up a pretty good fight, I hafta whack 'em with a belayin' pin quite a few times before they go down, claws is sharp too!

DSCI0005.jpg

They're Sand Hill Cranes .... a little tough an' stringy and a bit "oily". Wingspan about 6'.

DSCI00082.jpg

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

Add bacon and the butter help to keep this crane moist and give it an old world fire roasted taste. This is as traditional as it gets when it comes to crane.

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 3 hours

Ingredients:

• 1 whole crane, about 5 pounds

• 4 slices bacon

• 3 tablespoons butter

• salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

Sprinkle the inside of the crane with the salt and pepper. Truss the crane. Place securely on rotisserie skewer. Dry thoroughly with paper towels. Rub with butter and sprinkle with salt. Blanch bacon in boiling water for one minute. Secure the strips of bacon over the breast and thighs with string. Preheat your grill and prepare you rotisserie. Place a drip pan under the place where the crane will be and fill it half full with water. Keep water in this pan during the cooking rime. Place crane on grill with a medium heat. Cook until the center of one breast reached 165 degrees F. about 2 hours. Remove bacon about 15 minutes before the crane is done and baste with drippings from the pan.

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

That's an expensive meal in Florida. Knocking one off carries a $50,000 fine and a year in jail, but only if it's a Florida Sandhill Crane.

I think it's cheaper to lure a cow into the yard and whack it instead. :angry:

- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you all realize I was only kidding about roasting the Cranes .......

Yes, they are protected here in Fla. especially in our neighborhood, they brought in some mating pairs several years ago and now we have a whole bunch of 'em. Still protected though.

I can only safely collect the "road weary" ones, they pick the strangest places to nap.

The eggs are big enough you only need 1 to make an omellette for 2.

......... I only roasted one, they're Waaaayyyyyy tastier deep fried! Yes, Patrick, "second's" are a lot easier to catch!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ......

Personal to Graydog, your recipe is great but you should try a bit more bacon, while they're a little fatty being a water bird, the pork fat and salt just add that little extra zing or BAM! (if you like Emeril). Based on their size you can also get by with 4 - 6 cloves of garlic. Mmmmmm good!

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net