The Bird Galley and Thomas Cocklyn

The Island

I am only finding the same round about references to The Bird Galley and Thomas Cocklyn. I know she was captured on 1719.01.04 by Cocklyn. What else do we know about Cocklyn and what happened to The Bird Galley?

The main source on Cocklyn is William Snelgrave's account while he was Cocklyn's prisoner in Africa. You can find it in John Stephens' book Captured by Pirates. Botting's The Pirates opens with a good summation of Snelgrave's experiences with Cocklyn.

The main source on Cocklyn is William Snelgrave's account while he was Cocklyn's prisoner in Africa. You can find it in John Stephens' book Captured by Pirates. Botting's The Pirates opens with a good summation of Snelgrave's experiences with Cocklyn.

That's a really interesting book containing some accounts that are otherwise sort of hard to find. Not only does it give a different perspective on pirates than the standard General History fare, it also contains many pirate stories from post-period. It's well worth a read if you want a fresh perspective on piracy.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Why, I ask about him is because he simply vanishes as does the ship. I know he took a pardon at the same time as Hornigold this was stated in Konstam's Blackbeard book and in Gosse's WHo's Who he met his fate in the gallows, i wonder if Gosse was guessing or what?

Thanks

My favorite pirate ship name "The Night Rambler"

Gosse is tough because he doesn't give any sources. I'm not using his encyclopedia for the medical tome I'm working on because he's not period and he doesn't provide references. So I am inclined not to entirely trust him.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

How do you guys determine which is for the most part the true version of possibly what happened? I just got Aubrey Burl's book "Black Barty" yesterday late from the post and read about Cocklyn, Davis, and La Bouche. Now this author Burl states La Bouche took over the slave ship Bird Galley and renamed her Wyndham Galley from what, i have read in Patrick Pringle's book as well as other sources and some saying Snelgrave(master of the Bird Galley) who wrote in his memoirs that it was Cocklyn who took the Bird Galley from him and renamed her Wyndham Galley. Burl goes as far to say La Bouche then renamed her right away again as Duke of Ormond. I am confused if Burl has more insight on the matter or great imagination?

Edited by The Island

My favorite pirate ship name "The Night Rambler"