Woodes Rogers and Blackbeard

The Island

Guys and Gals, I apologize in advance if this has been covered prior! What do you guys feel about Blackbeard and Woodes Rogers knowing each other and in fear of having his identity being truly known did not take up Vane on his offer to attack Nassau? I believe if it was another Governor and not Rogers, I believe Blackbeard might of taken Vane on his offer. Do you guys think Vane would have had a chance agaisnt Rogers force with Blackbeard and others on his side?

My favorite pirate ship name "The Night Rambler"

Hmmm considering Rogers took up the governorship of the Bahamas pretty much pro bono and went bankrupt trying to get rid of the pirates in the area,build up the areas defenses and generally get the island to be productive..and seems to have sent letter after letter for assistance from England to little avail, I think Rogers might have had a bit of trouble if a united force of pirates had tried to seriously attack.

Hornigold, who held quite the sway in the area as a pirate earlier on, turned and took the King's pardon and went to work for Rogers as a Pirate hunter, knowing he supported Rogers might cause Vane to to think twice and even Teach for that matter since he was under Hornigold's command, again earlier on.

It would have made for some interesting history if it had happened, win or lose, I think Rogers would have put up one hell of a fight. Any one who can remain on deck during a battle, laying in his own blood with a ball in the roof of his mouth and still command by writing orders is one pretty tough bastard in my book.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

It would have depended on what the pirates in Nassau did. As I recall, there were about a thousand of them, many with armed ships, so whoever they side with is going to win.

My best bet is that they would have sided with Rogers. They viewed him as a good deal for them; his pardon gave them a good chance to get away with all the booty they'd taken and live to enjoy it, so they welcomed him in. When some of them turned back to piracy and he hanged them, their fellows went along with it, and of course Hornigold became one of Rogers's main supporters.

What do Blackbeard and Vane have to offer that would make the Nassau pirates willing to forfeit their pardons? Nothing that I can think of. Indeed, what profit is there for Blackbeard in fighting Rogers? To get a secure base back? He thought he already that, in Ocracoke.

Also, prior to Rogers' arrival in Nassau Vane and his cohorts were considering attacking Bermuda to use as a base of operations. Governor Bennet of Bermuda was probably in a more secure situation than Rogers, and he feared a pirate attack. Bermuda is also better situated for attacking Caribbean trade than the Bahamas.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk