All walks of life and social status

1590-the-reception-of-cardinal-cesar-d-e-luca-carlevaris.jpgJust came across these paintings by Luca Carlevarijs. They are from a period between 1690-1720. Take a look, there are all sorts of folks in all sorts of clothing. Sailors in slops and short coats, petticoat breeches, landsmen with their stockings over their breeches, dogs sniffing butts, and even sailors without waistcoats or even - gasp shirts! Great stuff!

Luca_Carlevarijs_001.jpg

ihtcbanner.jpg

I can make it.jpg

"I think I can. I think I can. I think I can..."

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

It's gorgeous..I love period paintings.

The colors are so much more alive, the ones where the setting is not so contrived let you use your imagination as I'm sure the artists did when taking a little "creative license. But still they evoke the feeling. That's sort of what art is about to show life but also let you feel it. Nice find.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I'll echo Hugh's comments here. The Mediterranean and Atlantic cultures were often very different in many respects, and fashion was definitely one of them.

Lovely paintings nonetheless.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

very cool painting. I just did a hunt around and found some more by the same guy. This one shows a ship in the process of careening:

TERRUZZI-PITTURA_14.jpg

That is excellent as well! So much to look at and take in. I see breeches with no stockings, a couple of interesting hats... Great stuff - but no butt sniffing dogs in this one. rolleyes.gif I read that the artist did a lot of individual rough portraits and then would combine them in his finished product.

ihtcbanner.jpg

Well you can def pick out the sailors....

I see slops and open-kneed breeches

I see most of them wearing what appears to be a fez like the Shriners wear.. thrum caps in the 18th century?

I see bathrobe-like coats

and some seem to be wearing doublets!

it's like an amalgum of centuries

me so confusedblink.gif

Edited by Liam McMac

_Liam McMac

Celtic and Pirate Tailor

Beware the Iron Brigade!