Late 17th Century Breeches

I'm trying figure out, what specific details would have been in place for breeches around 1695-1700. I'm especially interested in pocket style, cut, how they would have been gathered at the knee, fly closure, etc. I have seen the baggier breeches with ribbon ties at the knees of earlier and the later? less billowy type with the button closure on the knees. Anyone have a pattern or a good reference? This is for my Francois Desportes (seen below) kit I'm having made. What would he have had on? To me, other than the thigh pocket, his breeches look like an early 1700s pattern. His leggings and waistcoat hide a lot of the detail. I could use some help!

Francois_Desportes_001.jpg

ihtcbanner.jpg

Nah, you're not a leper.... You just chose a topic that people weren't ready to jump in on so quickly... :D

The oft cited "Cut of Men's Clothes" by Norah Waugh has a pattern for some 1690s breeches (if memory serves me well, I have to go to the local library to look at that one). That pattern might be found on the net, but going to your library or buying the book would be more ideal (in my opinion). The pocket looks similar in style (from the painting) to the style of pocket used on waistcoats of the period, but one could only guess at it's construction. I think if you do a search on Twill for pockets (although it could be in the "Sewing Room" area of the pub as well), there has been a discussion about pockets on breeches (although I have this vague memory that the discussion was a tangent on a discussion of a different name). I believe Sterling and some others posted some really neat pictures of various pocket styles from period sources on breeches.... I will try and dig up that discussion and link it here if I have some free time in the next few days if no one can remember where that topic is/was (but I'm pretty good with the Pub search engine).

I know this isn't much help, but at least I hope this lets you know the information is "out there" and that people aren't ignoring you, it's just more likely that those who have good memory of the posts here, and who are also strong with the search function just haven't had the chance to chime in yet.

Michael_banner.jpg