Mary Read

Bilgewater Browne

In the early nineties, I wrote a screenplay about Mary Read and sent it to Stephen Spielberg’s house in East Hampton. I received a very nice rejection letter from Amblin which I have kept as a memento to my chutzpah.

I want to retire from teaching next year. While exploring possible career changes, the field that jumped out as number one was the performing arts, with an emphasis in writing. I want to re-work my screenplay into a stage play. Back in the early nineties, I was restricted to my local library as a source of information on Mary Read. I would be grateful to anyone who could suggest 21st century sources of knowledge that would help me write a accurate account of her life.

highres_6845035.jpeg

Craig Browne

Captain

Half Moon Marauders

Outside of Tamara Easton, Diosa here is the expert. But since she is already performing in a couple of Mary Read stage plays, I don't know how forthcoming she would be at this time.

Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Outside of Tamara Easton, Diosa here is the expert. But since she is already performing in a couple of Mary Read stage plays, I don't know how forthcoming she would be at this time.

Hurricane

Shiver me timbers! I always thought Anne Bonny got all the press. I'll have to think of something more original.

highres_6845035.jpeg

Craig Browne

Captain

Half Moon Marauders

Hurricane

Shiver me timbers! I always thought Anne Bonny got all the press. I'll have to think of something more original.

Aye, that darn Anne does get much of the press... I think that's a little unfair personally as when you look into the specific lives of the women, Mary had the much more noteworthy and story-worthy life! As for presentations, I have been performing an Anne & Mary life story play as well as a 'life on ship' presentation for a little while now. Additionally I have been penning my own version of her life story. Honestly when it comes to research, I have found the best things I have done to help me get a feel for her life are to go to the locations where she has been. From walking the streets of port royal Jamaica, to standing in the jail cell where she died and spending time on Black Sound in the Abacos where they regularly hid out, I find walking in the footsteps of someone, seeing what they have seen and then coupling that with the research materials out there is quite the way to come to a more complete picture of their lives. From simple things like the clothes they would have had to wear because of local flora and fauna and conditions, to views that they may have seen... it's the old 'walk a mile in a man's shoe's' adage...

Edited by Diosa De Cancion

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

You might try using the search function on this forum. I know there are a couple of topics on Anne and Mary in the archives. I also recall from posting on another forum that there may be some additional information in court records. (You might also try searching the forums at piratesinfo.com which is where I read this several years ago.) Another great way I've found to get resources is to plunder the footnotes and bibliographies of well-researched books. (It seems to me that there are several books concerning Anne and Mary, although I haven't read a one, so I couldn't say which ones contain well footnoted text and thorough bibliographies.)

Most of the info on her seems to come from Charles Johnson's book, which has been questioned and doubted every which way.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just a spanner in everyone's works, or a thorn in everyone's sides... outside of what Johnson wrote (which, as Mission says, is inherently unreliable), what do we actually know about Mary Read's life before she became a pirate?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Well, that's why I started this thread. I'd long ago thrown out my original research. Capt. Johnson's book wasn't in my local library, but another book that referred to him frequently was. Since the author cast aspersions on many of Johnson's claims, I assume he had other sources. After two years of renovation, that library has re-opened; I may try to rediscover my sources.

highres_6845035.jpeg

Craig Browne

Captain

Half Moon Marauders

outside of what Johnson wrote (which, as Mission says, is inherently unreliable)...

I don't know if I'd go quite that far. Some of it is true - we have court records so we know she existed. Whether her back story is true or not is another matter, but without proof either way I don't think you can dismiss it out of hand.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Unreliable - as opposed to wrong.

There's plenty of stuff that's right, but we only know that it's right by comparison with other sources. That comparison also shows a great deal to be wrong. Therefore, of the parts which cannot be compared to other sources (like the early lives of Bonny and Read), the best we can say is that it's unreliable.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk