Cat-o-nine tails

MorganTyre

Someone mentioned a cat in my buccaneer ropeworks thread so here you go. I'm still on the fence about the tassels though they certainly don't look bad. The whole is slated for a wash in diluted pine tar giving a similar finish to the tarred needlecase in the other thread.

Cat.jpg

A: Each of the nine tales is capped by a five strand matthew walker knot.

B: Nine tails, each of five strand flat sinnet (braid) made from a particularly rough flax line. These will certainly flay skin. Tails are roughly 2 feet each. The line making the tails extends the full length of the handle forming the bulk of the grip.

C: 8x7 turkshead of cotton

D: The handle is made from the same line as the tails, stiffened with nine thin strips of bamboo buried deep inside, served over fully with more flax cord, and then finally grafted over with cotton twine in an under one, over two pattern. The weft is hemp. The grafting took FOREVER with 32 strands making up the warp. The handle is 12 inches from the top of the upper turkshead to the whipping at the bottom.

E: 6x5 turkshead of cotton

F: Snaked whipping of hemp.

All in all this probably represents a full days labor.

Cat_Hilt.jpg

Cat_Pommel.jpg

Edited by MorganTyre
Ropework_Header.jpg

That is wicked..how much do you charge for a beauty like that?

To be honest, that one wouldn't be cheap as it represents many hours of labor. Let me try to figure out how much time I have in it and then I'll quote a price. Thank you for the compliments.

Ropework_Header.jpg

absolutly stunning,

no pun intended, but that is a lovely bit of rope work, lad. Many compliments.

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

That is wicked..how much do you charge for a beauty like that?

I'm thinking $100 for that one though I can do equally attractive ones for far less money. I've since tarred it and am very satisfied with the results. I'll post pics of that and the half dozen or so bottles that I've done soon.

Ropework_Header.jpg