Need website Info...

Black Syren

Ok my partner and I are working on getting our stuff on a website. We are temporarily housed on Maxpages and since we are currently free they have tons of ads. Eventually we will buy our domain name and such..but can anyone give pointers as to a good place to host and so forth as Im completely clueless. And of course someplace that has really good templates until I can actually afford to have a more professional one done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

This might not be the best place for beginners, as I am unsure if they have templates or anything like that to use...

But I use FastWebServer for my web site, and have used them for the last 8 or 9 years with almost no problems (except for one billing snafu they took care of in a reasonable amount of time). Now I do all of my own web design (and I am a techie), which makes using a service like these guys easier for me. While my pages aren't particularly well designed, it is a hobby web site, and I don't do any E-Commerce stuff on the site (although my plan is capable of it).

Michael_banner.jpg

Ill take a look into in when I get back from running errands..at a quick glance I did not see a template source and while I have some knowledge about HTML I do not know enough to create my own. But again I shall look further into it on my return. Thanks Michael!

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

I have mine through ACTWD. They've been extraordinarily good to me, even if they're a trifle slow to get back to me at times. They're even in your neck of the woods somewhere. (Well, they're in TX - it's a pretty big place so maybe it's not in your neck of the woods.)

[Edit] Oh, if you don't know HTML you won't have much luck with them. Learn HTML! For a basic page it's not really that tough.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I know basic HTML. It's all the other stuff I have trouble with lol..Graphics and what not.

This is my temp free one and I took their template and re-did it but still not liking it..and yes this one is free so I could practice.

TheSmugglersCove

I don't know if they're to your liking, but my pirate webpages are extraordinarily simple in design. They use tables that are pretty simple to manipulate in HTML. Since you can open other people's webpages up in any web page generator I've worked with, all you have to do is download them, change the text and pictures and then save them as files to your web page.

I almost always make my webpages the same width (750 pixels.) I nearly always make the photos 300 pixels tall. So I know the max width and the height which allows me to trim the photo widths as I need to fit. (One key to such design: pre-sizing the pics using my thumbnail guidelines so I know what I need to trim. This also saves server space. The other is writing the text so that it will fill the space next to the photo if I'm doing a text photo table.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Since I'm not computer savy in any way, that's why I went the Etsy route. They handle everything, and it is easy to set up a shop there. I know you have already done that. My second step is to create a blog site, with a link to the Etsy site, for potential buyers. But of course, if you are wanting to sell directly from you web site, rather offer a link to your Etsy shop, that won't work for you.

Good luck with it, whichever way you go. (And doesn't Mission make it all sound so easy-peasy? ;=} LOL, I'd screw it up, for sure! )

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

If you know a little HTML, you can check out how other pages were written....

just try this.....

right click this page...yeah...right here in the Pub.....

then on the roll down,

click View Page Source

OK... sure I don't understand what any of the Java Script code is... but I can figgure out what most of the HTML is for....

View Source is handy when you want to see how someone wrote a page or a part of a page...

LOL I agree Patrick and I have used that wee trick in the past however sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I tried it yesterday on one of my old sites I had coded and it worked on the main page but the other pages it did not.

Ransom we just wanted a diffrent place rather than Etsy for our more period correct stuff.