Wanted: Hatters Felt

Does anyone know where someone can puchase hatters felt. Websites, addresses and phone numbers welcome. Also, since I have never puchased hatters felt before, how much does this stuff cost?

"Yes, I am a PIRATE (over) 200 years too late, the cannons don't thunder there's nothin' to plunder I'm an over 40 victim of fate.... Arriving too late, arriving too late."

I think you need to learn the lingo of what you are looking for first... I don't mean this to be a slight... I am just trying to help.

Depending on what you what to do with them.... For Example... Make a Tricorn...

Try Searching/Googling

Fur Felt Hoods or capelines

Those are are "shaped" wool felt bodies.

Check here too

http://www.hatsuk.com/hatsuk/hatsukhtml/bible/feltmanu.htm

as it will give you some more ideas.

Here is a hood

furFeltHood.gif

Here is a capeline

furFeltCapeline.gif

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Thanks for the information. I already knew about hat blanks, hoods, capelines and the like. I'm looking to buy flat felt that I plan to form into a tricorn. Ive already done this with craft felt. Glued pieces together and it came out pretty good, but a little too hard due to the glue. (See pic below)

16370_1128913910096_1444663522_30307411_761591_n.jpg

16370_1128913950097_1444663522_30307412_7292437_n.jpg

So now I wish to try my hand with Hatters felt (this still may not be the correct term). Felt that I expect is 2-3 times thicker than craft felt.

Edited by Captain Robert Rackam

"Yes, I am a PIRATE (over) 200 years too late, the cannons don't thunder there's nothin' to plunder I'm an over 40 victim of fate.... Arriving too late, arriving too late."

I would expect that most craft felt is acrylic, or at least some part synthetic. My guess is that you want a brim like a donut with hole, and then "sew in" a dome?

interesting.

If you really want to delve into the hat craft, I still think you should get some caplines and then a hat block for the size(s) you intend to make.

A friend made his own block by cutting circles of 1" thick plywood and gluing them together. Fortunately, for our period. Hats were "round" and not oval/headshaped back then.

cut a plywood donut to slip on top of the block to help shape, and with a little steam/heat/pressure, you'll be on your way.

I think you can still order hat blocks... but they are pricey.

http://www.hatblocks.co.uk/

Wool Felt

http://www.localharvest.org/jacob-wool-felt-dark-gray-C13654?r=fr

http://www.sefelt.com/

Good luck regardless

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Hats by Leko seems to be what I'm looking for. I still want to try this from flat felt, but I like the colorchoices from this place. All of the other places have basic brown, black and grey but Hats by Leko has many more colors. I think I'm going with Merlot and Gold and perhaps an Avocado. I'm sure thay are not period colors but I think they will look awesome.

Hats by Leko seems to be what I'm looking for. I still want to try this from flat felt, but I like the colorchoices from this place. All of the other places have basic brown, black and grey but Hats by Leko has many more colors. I think I'm going with Merlot and Gold and perhaps an Avocado. I'm sure thay are not period colors but I think they will look awesome.

That's the awesome thing about this vendor. They've been around a while... a wide selection... get the molded hats or just the felt, whatever variety it is.

I just haven't had the coinage to obtain any of the hats.

I wish you luck. Please do a review if you order from them. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

If you want the RIGHT stuff, which is hand-felted flat felt, (it's not cheap but soooo worth it!) Heart Felt Creations makes the best felt. I'll try to find their recent contact info for you.

Also, for affordable hat "blocks", try these: Hatshapers

I haven't tried using these forms with the handmade felt, but with capelines, it's awesome!!! Just soak the hat in hot water, shape it around the mold by working and stretching the capeline, then finish with a hot iron. Let dry and then coat with a thin mixture of real shellac mixed with denatured alcohol.

This site has some good stuff too: All Fiber Arts

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

• 4 weeks later...

So I just ordered 5 hat blanks from Hats by Leko (colors: Merlot, Gold, Rust, Black, Dark Green) Made my own hat block and plan on trying to create some really impressive head pieces. Thank you t all that advised me. will keep you posted on my progress.

If you're working with flat felt, you're like 3 steps ahead of making your own felt. Wool Batting, some bubble wrap, water and soap and you're off!

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

If you're working with flat felt, you're like 3 steps ahead of making your own felt. Wool Batting, some bubble wrap, water and soap and you're off!

Don't know if I'm ready to make my own felt yet, but if things go well with the hat blanks, I may get up the nerve to try it.