Smuggling

That is a great link, Bo. Thanks. I even bookmarked it. For a writer, there is a wealth of information to draw from, and a unlimited number of stories that could be invented, based on this documented owl trade. Thanks for passing it on. :blink:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Fascinating information! I especially liked the methods of smuggling. I can imagine that some will incorporate these in to their period kits, such as the bags of tea resembling the crown of their cap, etc. It would definitely make a great educational piece!

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

• 3 months later...

I was trying to get the image of the smuggler (from the article in the link from the first post)to come up on here but still cannot figure out how that works. Anyone know the date on this guy? huge bucket boots, two pistols, a hangar and what looks like an apron or kilt-type garment over breeches. I've been looking for the image to try and find out its origins. Any help on this I'd be grateful. thanx.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

• 4 months later...

Found this on the Gutenburg project site along with Jameson's book:

http://www.gutenberg...3-h/17563-h.htm

I like the drawing of the tea smuggler's methods of carrying tea ashore.

Bo

Here's another link for smugglers.

http://www.smuggling.co.uk/gazetteer_se_14.html

Hastings has a large complex of caves that were used by smugglers. Later the caves became a tourist attraction. They were also used as a bomb shelter during WWII. The caves are open to the public with an emphasis on late-18th century smugglers. Their web site is fun.

http://www.smugglersadventure.co.uk/smugglers/smugglers.shtml

Mark

I was trying to get the image of the smuggler (from the article in the link from the first post)to come up on here but still cannot figure out how that works. Anyone know the date on this guy? huge bucket boots, two pistols, a hangar and what looks like an apron or kilt-type garment over breeches. I've been looking for the image to try and find out its origins. Any help on this I'd be grateful. thanx.

Bo

It's called A Smuggler by William Heath circa 1830 there is a companion piece called The Preventive Service showing the Coastguard uniform of the same period.

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.