Resolutions anyone?

Silent

9 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to have a New Years Resolution?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'll give it my best shot but no promises
    • My resolution is to not have a resolution

So how bout it, any resolutions out there? Mine is to get back in shape, I was looking at my drivers license that said 185lbs, I weighted my self a few days ago and I'm pulling 230. Granted I'm 6'2 but still I would be nice if all my pants fit :blink:

Back in the Dark Ages, when I managed a cafe in a health club, I got to experience New Year's resolutions first-hand. For the first three weeks of the year, the place would be packed by folks who had obviously made New Year's resolutions about getting more fit and spending more time working out. The regulars patiently put up with this frenzy (since they knew it would be finite) and after the three weeks were up, the place got back to normal as the resolve wore off.

I've made a few New Year's resolutions over the year - I think I accomplished about half or two-thirds of them. I'm of the mind that resolutions are best made when there is something other than an arbitrary date on which to make them.

RHJMap.jpg

I usually do, and often keep it. The trick to keeping them can be as easy as "make it something you like to do." Who said a resolution has to be a "bad" thing. Anyway, my resolution last year was to paint one gaming miniature. I bested that by a good 20 or 30.

finished.jpg

(and this isn't all of the figures I painted)

This year, I went with a oldie but a goodie. I'm bringing back my "stay out of $tarbuck$ for a year" resolution. It's an expensive habit, and I can make better coffee with my French press.

Oh, and Happy New Year to you all!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I also resolve to stay out of Starbucks, which is particularly easy since I dislike French roast coffee.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I resolve to get to my 17th-century weight. I'm 5'9" or so, so I figure that 145 should do it. It'll take all my will power to reach 180, though. I'm trying to avoid 17th century health problems while I do it.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I can fix any 17th century health problems you have with some nice 17th century remedies.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Being somewhat inspired by BlackJohn's resolution from last year, I think I am going to endeavor to paint at least one miniature a month (and hope to exceed that). I may paint more in some months, and less in others, but if I can do 12 throughout the year, I will be very pleased with myself. Since I started painting them again last month, I have found that I have really missed doing it in the last decade or more I haven't picked up my brushes or paints.

Michael_banner.jpg

I came up with several goals for the year but I don't really have any resolutions. "Resolutions" are those things that you "resolve to do"; "goals" are things you set your sights on and try to achieve. Give me goals, any day. I've never kept a single resolution that I can recall but I've accomplished many of the goals I have set for myself.

"In the end, it's not the gold that sets our sails,

'Tis freedom and the promise of a better life

That raises our black flags."

I came up with several goals for the year but I don't really have any resolutions. "Resolutions" are those things that you "resolve to do"; "goals" are things you set your sights on and try to achieve. Give me goals, any day. I've never kept a single resolution that I can recall but I've accomplished many of the goals I have set for myself.

Good point!

@madPete - If so, methinks you should give one of your spies pointy white muttonchops and a more dissolute appearance...

Mission_banner5.JPG

yup

Mostly I've resolved to stop beating myself up

starting with my body. Most of my health problems come from my weight so it's time to do something about it. I've managed it before, I only stopped paying attention when my parents got sick and then passed away. That was 5 years ago so it's time to get myself back together.

Next is my attitude. I can be abso-floggin'-lutely anal sometimes, and mostly with myself. Things have to be just right or I'll abandon them altogether. I've decided to relax a bit with that.

A perfect example is my pirate kit. As much as I'd like to achieve historical accuracy, I just don't have the time and resources to do it. My kit is very much on the fantasy side and so far I've let that prevent me from having fun with it. Well.... Sod it! I'm tired of being grumpy and I want to have fun, even if my kit isn't perfect.

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum