Fingers or Fingerless?

GentlemenScotty

These are replicas of the gloves worn by a man pulled out of a peat bog in the shetlands dating from the early 18th century

250px-GunnisterMan_gloves_-_Shetland_Museum_and_Archives_01385.jpg

Knitted gloves, or rather gauntlets, (replicas) from among Gunnister man finds.

The gloves are well knitted with sophisticated techniques. They are mainly knitted in stocking stitch, with patterning on the cuffs, and decorative arrows on the back of the hands.

Edited by PoD

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Any images or other documentation of knitted shirts/undershirts for the time? I know the pearl stiich and "sweaters" are mid-late 19th and early twentieth century, but was this older method of knitting used for the upper body garments as well, and how common? It does get rather cold here and I would like to find something period if it exists. thanx.

P.S. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll split it into it's own if you like.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

Any images or other documentation of knitted shirts/undershirts for the time? I know the pearl stiich and "sweaters" are mid-late 19th and early twentieth century, but was this older method of knitting used for the upper body garments as well, and how common? It does get rather cold here and I would like to find something period if it exists. thanx.

P.S. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll split it into it's own if you like.

Bo

If not already known to you Bo, I commend this site: 18th Century Knitting.

Also, just enter "Gunnister Man" into your search engine for further finds.

Y.M.H.S.

QMJ

This is a question, not necessarily an argument: do we have any evidence for GAoP fingerless gloves?

There's mittens mentioned in the ASC specs, and plenty of gloves with fingers...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

This is a question, not necessarily an argument: do we have any evidence for GAoP fingerless gloves?

There's mittens mentioned in the ASC specs, and plenty of gloves with fingers...

This site seems to have fingerless gloves but they are womens from the 18th century. It doesnt specify when in the 18th century though:

http://www.history.org/history/clothing/women/wglossary.cfm

Theres also a couple of fingerless gloves on this page from around the late 17th early 18th Century:

http://www.glovecollectioncatalogue.org/Spence-Collection-at-Bath-23390-23417

Obvioulsy neither of these sites have any specific sailors gloves and fingered gloves seem to be more popular.

bannerad.jpg

Yar, but both those examples are very much feminine - not exactly what I guess we're talking about here

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Yar, but both those examples are very much feminine - not exactly what I guess we're talking about here

nope, not unless any crew members have particularly dainty hands

Just done the rounds with Hogarth (well his book) and couldnt find any fingerless gloves in there either. I am sure i have seen fingerless gloves in a painting somewhere but the more i think about it the more i think that may have been from the victorian era.

bannerad.jpg

• 9 months later...

I've just bought the book "Occupational Costume in England from the 11th Century to 1914" by Phillis Cunnington and Cathrine Lucas and it has a section on Seamen and Fisherfolk. It seems that Fishermen from at least circa 1616 wore mittens similar to these 18th century Knitted Mittens:

mittenpic.jpg

They are shown in a picture from the Guild Hall Library in London of the Lord Mayor's Day pageant of the Fishmongers Company in 1616. The book also states that, as Foxe said above, the Naval contract of 1706 mentions Grey woollen mittens at sixpence a pair

This is a picture of a pair of mittens used by whalers that are covered in rope to make them stronger (although theres no date on these and I believe whaling was more popular in later times):

020000_00548.jpg

Edited by PoD

bannerad.jpg