Pyrates with Blog Sites

Ransom

Okay, for 2010 I'm debating whether to start my own blog site. I know several of you have them, so I was interested in knowing what made you decide to start one, and what sort of satisfaction do you get from posting on it? Do you do it for your own personal enjoyment, or like Mission, to also pass on knowledge and information? I guess the bottom line question is, do you think it is worth the time and effort to set it up and keep it current?

Also, since I am not a whiz at the old computer, are they hard to set up?

I'd appreciate any input/thoughts you'd all care to share.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I've been blogging for a couple of years now - mostly musings brought on by things I've seen, read or experienced or occasionally recommendations (and in one post, a fabulous recipe for sea salt caramels...) I don't blog every day - sometimes a few weeks will go by and then I may have a couple of things to say in just the one day. And at one point I did a whole series of posts covering what I thought was wrong with the current trends in fashion.

It's not too hard to set up; there are sites designed for this (LiveJournal and blogspot come to mind) and they make it pretty easy for you. You sign up, pick the format of your page and start posting.

RHJMap.jpg

I have yet to consider myself a blogger, although some people have accused me of such. Truth is, I love to write. It's rewarding when I read stuff I wrote and find I like it. Sure, I occasionally whine about finishing the Surgeon's Journals or my monthly success articles, but I keep doing such because on one level I really, really enjoy it. I've been writing since I was a kid, so it's obviously some sort of core skill/love of mine. Plus I find myself enraptured when a string of words or phrases I put together sounds particularly funny or clever or concise or...well, any of the other fun things you can do by combining words. The English language has an astonishing variety of words; finding them and putting them in print (or ether) is great fun to me.

Whatever you decide, if you're going to write something (whatever you want to call it, however often you want to do it and whatever it's going to be about), you should write it because you like to do so. Writing is an exercise and like any other exercise, you get flabby if you don't keep at it. Writing is also a skill and like any other skill, the more you do it, the better you become. (At least that's what I tell myself - especially when I'm editing my stuff. :P )

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I blog, but infrequently. I think I average about two posts a month, although there have been months where I have not posted, and other times where I will post a couple of times a week.

I use mySpace to blog on, although out of the easy free available options, it is likely the most difficult to customize well (most people on mySpace turn their page into these horrid looking things that could be described as slot machines on bad heroin).

From others I know that blog that use either Live Journal or Blogspot, I think I have heard more good feedback from the Live Journal site.

As for the why's, I do it mostly for self gratification. There are some of my blog entries that I think others would find entertaining, educational, or otherwise amusing, but I would wager that the majority of my blog entries would be of little value to anyone other than myself to refer back to.

Michael_banner.jpg

Okay, then I guess my next question would be, if you do it for your own enjoyment, and don't post in it very often, why have a blog site? Why not just do a personal computer diary?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious about blog sites in general, and why people start them, and if you were not going to post information, why a blog site is more attractive than a private diary.

Most diaries I have read are written as if the author expects the entries to be read by someone else eventually (In some cases, hopefully after the author is dead), so I'm thinking that is the same reason a public blog site has more appeal than a private computer journal? You want someone else to read it and leave their opinions on your ideas and thoughts?

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

Okay, then I guess my next question would be, if you do it for your own enjoyment, and don't post in it very often, why have a blog site? Why not just do a personal computer diary?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious about blog sites in general, and why people start them, and if you were not going to post information, why a blog site is more attractive than a private diary.

Most diaries I have read are written as if the author expects the entries to be read by someone else eventually (In some cases, hopefully after the author is dead), so I'm thinking that is the same reason a public blog site has more appeal than a private computer journal? You want someone else to read it and leave their opinions on your ideas and thoughts?

That's a very interesting question... I think my answer would be that the topic of many of my blog entries are often about projects I am working on. Over the last year since I have started making wine and mead again, a lot of the time I am rambling on about my experiences with that (or sewing projects, or other types of crafty things). While this does have a limited audience, I don't mind sharing those blog entries, and actually prefer posting those "publicly" rather than keeping them private... I do post some more journal type entries as well, and I do keep in mind the potential audience with those. Those I post in case some distant friends are interested in what I have been doing lately, but I am cautious not to post anything too personal... But to me, those tend to fall more into the category of "of not much interest to many (or anyone)", and I am cautious enough not to post any information that if read by a complete stranger can be of any harm to me. So I guess, while I do it for me, there is a little bit of hope that some will read it and comment if it strikes them.

Michael_banner.jpg

Oh, it's certainly also rewarding when other people read it and like it. But if you're writing stuff so that other people like it, they most likely won't. Write because you have something to say and you enjoy it. To be quite honest, I'm surprised a lot of people even get half the stuff I write in an alleged humorous vein. (Well, other than Duchess and Stynky...when he reads it. Oh, Stynky claims he reads my stuff, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't read much of it. However, if he did read it, he would usually get it.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Right then, last pesky question.

If you do it for fun, or to pass on information to either friends or family, do you worry that someone "out there" will pirate your postings and use them somewhere else, without your permission or giving you credit? I think this would especially bother someone who writes creatively, or who posts information gathered through personal research. Or is that just a risk you are willing to take?

(I know, this make me sound paranoid...okay, so I am, a little. LOL )

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I put copyright info on my Success articles (By having written something, I understand that you automatically own the copyright if you can prove you wrote it. This is not nearly as strong as registering a copyright, but the truth is that even if you want to pursue a copyright infringement, you need to have some serious coin for the legal costs.) So I figure...why worry about it? If it's actually worth stealing, maybe you should find yourself a publisher. There's more words where those came from.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Right then, last pesky question.

If you do it for fun, or to pass on information to either friends or family, do you worry that someone "out there" will pirate your postings and use them somewhere else, without your permission or giving you credit? I think this would especially bother someone who writes creatively, or who posts information gathered through personal research. Or is that just a risk you are willing to take?

(I know, this make me sound paranoid...okay, so I am, a little. LOL )

First - I blog because it helps me order my thoughts. Having a big ego helps (too bad everyone here is so shy and retiring). I actually have a few blogs. I was including posts about my boat in my pirate blog but I started a separate blog just for that. Most of what I post to my pirate blog is either research or reviews of events or general opinions.

As far as people stealing my stuff - it's the Internet. Stuff gets stolen.

Mark

Why isn't anyone posting links to their blogs?

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

People might steal our stuff.

I don't have a blog, I have a web-site.

All my success stuff is here.

The Baby Lion travel notes (which are sort of for Grace Thatcher, who is now 10 years old) start here. (I have another one to put together once I finish with the PiP Surgeon's Journal.)

And the links to all the completed Surgeon's Journals for various re-enactment events can be found on this page.

The one for PiP '09 will probably be done next week or the week after. (I'm about half finished with it and it takes about a day to do each page.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Thank you all for your input. :rolleyes:

I'll probably go ahead and start a blog site, out of curiosity to see how it works and what kind of feedback, if any, I get. And since I'm kinda phobic about names for things (they have to be just right), I'll spend some time trying to think up a good name for the site. If you have any more ideas or suggestions, I'd be interested to hear them.

And it would be kinda nice if those of you who have web/blog sites would post links in your signatures, because like Michael said, few people look at your personal page, so wouldn't know you have anything like that. Just a thought. :blink:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a LiveJournal. Mostly I just wanted a place to be able to store my poetry and musings online without always having to write them down first. I don't worry about keeping it current really. So far I don't have any known readers so I only post when I write something significant I'd like to save and I just put it on there. It's more for yourself than anyone else unless you're looking to advertise something.

And they are very simple to set up. You give the information they ask for (username, password, email address) the usual stuff.

and I'll link you to mine if anyone cares to look.

http://eggshellmind.livejournal.com/

Edited by PrincipessaMarley

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I finally got brave enough to set up a blog site. Did that yesterday, and have so far made two posts, one with a photo. I can see where this could get addicting.

Check it out and let me know what you think. ;=}

Found in the Ruins blog site

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Tis fun.

Occassionally I blog on Facebook. The topics present themselves and are rather good. Latest one I'm working on is messy homes and the irrated spouse. :) I've done a blog on Civility, the effect the economy has upon family and friends, and much more.

Again, it can be fun and interesting. You can blog as much or as little as ye want. Some have a site unto themselves so to speak like the 18th century blog, that's just... massive! It's more like a website. Or can use MySpace, Facebook, LiveJournal and those other community places.

I'd be curious to see what ye blog. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!