Need help with my sailboat

Silent

Since my boat isnt historical I figured I'd post this here. I just bought a small sailboat from my brother in law and for $50 I couldn't complain. I'll try to find some pictures in a bit. The boat is about 10 feet long, I guess it would be called a dinghy? It has the hole for the boom but no jib. I'll been searching online but everything Im finding is for bigger boats.

So this is a list of the things I'm looking for

- Boom

- Main Sail

- Rigging

- Rudder

The boat seats 1 maybe 2 people.

Thanks for any help

Edited by Silent

I have all the parts from a 12 foot Scorpion fiberglass hull. Sail is nylon and will need replaced, but is all there and intact, but wouldn't hold in any wind. Mainmast has a slight bend where it slips in to the hull indicating it has been under a lot of pressure too, may be junk. Dunno, I have never sailed anything but a canoe with Boy-Scout square-sail rigging. We got swamped and wet. Very wet. Long swim with a swamped canoe to tow by hand.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

I would recomend a book, "THE CRAFT OF SAIL" by Jan Adkins. You can order it through the Wooden Boat Store of Wooden Boat Magazine.com. It's a soft cover book of 62 pages written, hand printed and illustrated by the author. In those 62 pages he's put the greatest primer on sailing I have ever used as a tool to teach with or, more importantly, turn someone lose with to learn the way of sail. It's strickly basics. All the parts of a basic sailboat are covered. How to raise sail, how to lower and furl or stow. The three points of sail.

It's just very simple as not to overload with information. Once you've learned these basics, buy books on advanced sailing, cruising and racing but to get your dinghy in the water, rig it proper and safe, enjoy an afternoon sailing, proper and safe and get back to the same spot you started from, I recommend this book very highly.

A very close friend and shipmate of mine got married several years ago. For their Honeymoon they were going to sail around the world on the 56' sailboat my friend had restored. He was more than competant, his Bride had never sailed before! She borrowed my sailing dinghy and with the copy of "Craft of Sail" told her husband "when I can sail by myself into Lake Sylvia and back to our boat, I'll leave!" They returned, as planned, three years to the day, still married, having sucsessfully circumnavigated the globe. My friend told me he used it a time or to for reminders!

Other than that, I have sold and sailed many different boats over the last 40 years. A photo might help me identify what make/model dinghy you have and what ever help I can give, I'm glad to. Dutch "X" his mark

Ill have to check that book out, I do know how to sail, just need to locate the parts I'm looking for to finish the darn thing.

Theae are a few pictures of the closet examples I could find. The boat is fiberglass

http://www.sailingtexas.com/piceli8ab.jpg

http://www.sailingtexas.com/piceli8aa.jpg

http://www.sailingtexas.com/Pics/picwalkerbay8ac.jpg

http://www.sailingtexas.com/picclassicmarine10ba.jpg

http://www.sailingtexas.com/picclassicmarine10aa.jpg

even a small boat is better then no boat. it a sweet looking rig. you might try making what you need yourself. i built a sailing rig for a old boat i owned. there's alot of stuff at the local hardware store that can be used.

Funny, it has no dagger/keelboard? I believe from the photos that the rigging I have will fit you boat. Not sure about the rudder but I saved the mounting plate from the scorpion, along with everything that was worth saving. The only thing I didn't remove was the drain as it was smashed. Probably no practical way to get it to ya though.

Bo

Funny, it has no dagger/keelboard? I believe from the photos that the rigging I have will fit you boat. Not sure about the rudder but I saved the mounting plate from the scorpion, along with everything that was worth saving. The only thing I didn't remove was the drain as it was smashed. Probably no practical way to get it to ya though.

Bo

No keel but it does have a center board that I can push down once in the water.

I've been looking for a website to find this stuff on but I'm having no luck :/

Of the pics you posted are any of these your boat? The first two appear to be a Dyer, the walker bay and the other two, just some nice sailing dinghy. Where are you located? Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale ends up with dinghy rigs often and they ship. Same deal with Wickford Consignment in Rhode Island. What happens when your rig is in the garage and the dinghy gets a.) lost b.) stolen c.) damaged ? You take it to the consignment shop!! Anyway, a pic would help. The book will help for rigging. As for sailing, I closed my delivery log at over 40k miles and find that book useful!