Pyrates and the Arts

BILLY BONES

Maybe this should be on Pirate Pop, but what little I know about this crew seems to point to the conclusion that pyracy begets art, or vica-versa. So far, I've heard of several fine artists, cartoonists, actors, dancers, singers, punsters, writers, musicians, film industry types, arts & craft folks, etc. bein' on this site. And what I know of the original pyrates, seems to me there was alot of creativity there, and at least above average intelligence as well. Do you think there's a corellation? Are artsy types drawn to Piracy for it's freedom of will, the need to be alittle bad, or what? Just wonderin'. Also, if yer artistically inclined, what do you do? I make period maps, paintings, correspondence, posters, documents, etc. for movies, as well as paint fine art pieces, murals, and the like. Well?

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

I thinks its just th outfits B)

Actually I think it's the combination of community and autonomy that's attractive. Just finished a study, done in the mid '70's (19 that is) called "The Children of Eden" about the commune movement. One of the comments the author makes is that most of the commune structures could allow for "weakness but not strength." That strong, vibrant personalities often drove the communes and then subsequently tore them apart. The Bucanier, with emphasis on committment to the company along with personal flamboyance and boundaries, may typify a kind of antidote either to the corporate state or the flower children, a kind of functional, individual, collective middle ground......

Sides, I likes sharp pointy things, wenches, and red wine...... :)

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

I think nowadays it 'as to be the history, mystery and passion that go along with it, and I can only guess at what made pirates so artistically inclined in the passed. I enjoy drawing (sketching and abstract mostly.) Photography, acting and writing.

My thanks ta all o' ya so far. Maybe instead of askin' Does pyracy attract the arts?, I shoulda called it, Does this subject attract pirates? Give it time, Billy, give it time.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

Zorg, I think maybe it is the outfits---and the pointy things, drink, and women (for us anyway)

Capt. William Bones

Zorg, I think maybe it is the outfits---and the pointy things, drink, and women (for us anyway)

All that, lads, and the chance to steer one's own course in a world of homeland insecurity, boundaries, borders, debts, prisons. ad nauseum. :ph34r:

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

Piracy attractin' artists? Piracy attracts everyone! Who wouldn't love a life of ease sittin' shipboard in the Caribbean breezes, waitin' for a plump merchantman full o' gold to float by?

As for why ye see a lot of artsy types in this fine pub, I think people in general are a pretty creative bunch, and that comes out th'most when they're doin' what they love. The perception that lots o' people are dull grunts comes about from seein' em at their worst, at their 9-to-5 jobs.

:ph34r:

I think it's mainly because of the movie industry that has made pirates and the life of- look more romantic than it actually was. I mean, never EVER in any movie I've ever seen about pirates (which was actually fun to watch) has there been any mention of scurvy, syphillis, or any of the other fun stuff that happened to real pirates.

Plus, nowadays, in order to do reinacting or going to the festivals in garb, one has to be creative to come up with a nice, believable character.

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

has there been any mention of scurvy, syphillis, or any of the other fun stuff that happened to real pirates.

Plus, nowadays, in order to do reinacting or going to the festivals in garb, one has to be creative to come up with a nice, believable character.

Capt. WE Roberts

:ph34r: "Eeeeeuuuwwww!!!!......Watch it thar, good pirates wuz smart enuff to keep their noses workin'!!"........ :)

an' if you dont touch nuthin' after you wake up, ye make a great lookin' pirate!..Bad hair days an' all! :ph34r:

I thinks its just th outfits  :ph34r:

...Actually I think it's the combination of community and autonomy that's attractive. ...

...Just finished a study, done in the mid '70's (19 that is) called "The Children of Eden" ...

...Sides, I likes sharp pointy things, wenches, and red wine...... :)

This has been a good discussion. there are a lot of terms that touch on what attracts artists to the pirate's life. The study of communes in the '60s sounds interesting. Where did you find it, Zorg?

Regarding the life of a modern-day 'pyrate':

For me, at the top of the list is the issue of freedom. As an artist, (and a creative geeee-nius) anything that smacks of freedom is attractive to me. Freedom, and the ability to express oneself, ya got me, I'm hooked.

Artists throughout history have attempted to gather in small communities, if for no other reason to stand against a world that is hostile to creative types. So, Zorg, you hit the nail on the head. The combination of autonomy and individuality, the ability to belong to a group, and yet not be forced to "conform". These are all attractive to the artist's mindset.

To be an artist, one must be able to conceptualize, to see what does not yet exist. That is what fantasy is all about. Mystery and passion are also near and dear to most artist's nature.

The opportunity to dress up n flamboyant costumes, and have it actually be a good thing, what artist could resist?

And who could resist pointy things, wenches, and red wine?

Lets not forget RUM!

Hey, Patrick Hand - nice pic! Methinks a female pirate dressed like that would encounter little resistance. "Oh I give up. Take me, you scandalous femme!"

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Theres a mixture of reasons to make it so attractive. I do think that in the immediate present, the fact that mainstream media artistry has deemed Pirates as "cool" helps. There was another posting somewhere that mentioned the movies and how some years ago, when Pirate based movies weren't so popular, you only had, at the same time, a scattering of Pirate crews around the country. Now you have swarms of them and the numbers are growing, here in the wake of one of the greatest Pirate based movies ever made. And you also have other movies/books that have shown us that our own imaginations can go a long way, such has the Lord of The Rings and Harry Potter Series'.

Its like we can almost relate to the fantasy and imagination in those movies, as well as POTC, that have given us a reason to have an interest in creativity like this, that even such big movies like Star Wars and Indiana Jones (as incredible as they were) did NOT do. Years ago I liked Pirates, I read about them, I liked the POTC ride at Disney, but not until more recently did I ever think of creating my own Pirate persona.

Plus you look at all the successful Pirate Festivals there are now.

Years ago there were only a few. Plus you had some Pirates as characters at Ren Fairs (like the one I saw at the Sterling, NY Ren Faire.) Now you have all kinds of festivals that give people a chance to go and develop their Piratical personae. And of course theres the internet with sites like this where we can develop with others too, right on the spot.

All of it contributes to what we do as creative artists in relation to Pirates.

Here's to ye all mateys!! :huh:

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>