and onto Searles...

So now that PiP 09 is sadly over, I'm looking forward to Searles Raid - and the nice pair of riding bucket boots in my closet.... My personal research has turned up several examples of bucket boots holding on to fashion into the 1600s, even though shoes looked to be growing in popularity after the English Civil War. Anyway, my question to any 1660s clothing geeks, I mean historians....rolleyes.gif

Are leather bucket riding boots (not the pleather Jack Sparrow ones) right for the 1660s? Here is a painting I found from 1661 showing at least one dude in boots like mine. Next question, if they are okay, does anyone know of a supplier for boot hose?

Thanks!

procession_61.jpg

ihtcbanner.jpg

In my opinion, based on the various pieces of artwork I have seen... Folded topped boots were likely still around in the 1660s, heck they even continued to get cavalry use right up through the end of the century... but shoes were (in my opinion) definitely starting to become the majority by this time.

Speaking more to the re-enactment rather than history (and Sgt Johnson could say more), but last year, there were a number of people in folded topped boots and I heard no complaints, so I think they are permitted there.

As for a supplier of boot hose, because they are such a fitted item, they tend to be a custom thing. I think Janet Nickerson makes them, but I am not certain. I'll try and look up her contact information for you in the coming days. Otherwise, I think the GAoP accessory package from Reconstructing History has a pattern for them (or a pattern that could be easily adapted for them).

Michael_banner.jpg

I have liked this drawing since i found it. Pretty certain it's early 17th Century and not Searle's time, but it's still cool! Love those hose!

I have that image in a book of 17th century French images, and I think it is dated to either the 1630s or 1640s. But it is a cool image!

Michael_banner.jpg

This must be a covert operation...because I'm not seeing anything on said venture!!

Gee I would love to hear more about this and even check to see if a Rat like me ownself might be able to attend.... Hint hint hint!!

anyone got the skinny on this event??/ Perhaps a website... maybe you can just buy me a drink and I'll stay in the freezing tundra and.... well freeze.... Pout pout Grrrr!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

This must be a covert operation...because I'm not seeing anything on said venture!!

Gee I would love to hear more about this and even check to see if a Rat like me ownself might be able to attend.... Hint hint hint!!

anyone got the skinny on this event??/ Perhaps a website... maybe you can just buy me a drink and I'll stay in the freezing tundra and.... well freeze.... Pout pout Grrrr!

Rats dear, you would be most welcome here. Essentially, lose the tricorn and all is good garb wise (we're going 1660ish here). This event will be held the 5th and 6th of March in St Augustine. It is really a phenomenal event because battle wise, you will be literally running through the streets of St Augustine and firing. Here's a picture I took from last year, but there are many more in this facebook link.

searle's raid pic

Usually set up is Friday and break down is Sunday. If you want to come in earlier or stay later, there are plenty of us with extra space to take you in for a couple days. Just lemme know.

If you would like to be there, Sgt Johnson is the person to contact. Or you can let me know and I will make sure he knows you're coming.

As for a website...they're working on it....:)

Hope that helps!

Edited by Diosa De Cancion

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I have liked this drawing since i found it. Pretty certain it's early 17th Century and not Searle's time, but it's still cool! Love those hose!

habitofaman.jpg

This is a 1660s dandy. He is wearing petticoat breaches. His doublet is straight - early doublets were shorter with tabs along the bottom. Note the oversized shirt that has been pulled out enough to hang below the doublet. Most of the details have been exaggerated to make fun of the dandies of the time.

Mark

Oh man! More pics please!!

I'tll be tough to get the time off since it's scheduled for weekend duty, but I'm going to give it a shot!!

More pics more pics!!

Rats dear, you would be most welcome here. Essentially, lose the tricorn and all is good garb wise (we're going 1660ish here). This event will be held the 5th and 6th of March in St Augustine. It is really a phenomenal event because battle wise, you will be literally running through the streets of St Augustine and firing. Here's a picture I took from last year, but there are many more in this facebook link.

searle's raid pic

Usually set up is Friday and break down is Sunday. If you want to come in earlier or stay later, there are plenty of us with extra space to take you in for a couple days. Just lemme know.

If you would like to be there, Sgt Johnson is the person to contact. Or you can let me know and I will make sure he knows you're coming.

As for a website...they're working on it....:)

Hope that helps!

sig2.jpg

Oh man! More pics please!!

I'tll be tough to get the time off since it's scheduled for weekend duty, but I'm going to give it a shot!!

More pics more pics!!

Hey rats, check out the various threads in this subforum of the pub, it has all the goods from last year!

Searle's Raid 2009 topics

And for an ongoing discussion of attending this coming year's Searle's Raid.

Michael_banner.jpg

Oh man.. that looks like a great time!! Truthfully that is the kind of raid that should be done at PIP and IN the fort!!! Yes IN the fort!! I mean it's kinda a waste to have the fort for nothing..... Grrrrr!

Ok I'm gogni to put in for the time off. but it might be a PIP or Searles thingy???

I'll try though!!

pettycoat trousers are just baggy slops with a band at the calves with a tie???

Any photo refrences and such??

sig2.jpg