Soap

Rumba Rue

• 1 month later...

In doing a bit of research on this topic, I came across several interesting facts in, "The Illustrated History of the Housewife" by Una A. Robertson.

Though washing with soap differed from the other methods in requiring hot water to be 'eficacious, an added cause of expense and effort and hence a deterrent to its use; soaps were also heavily taxed at fluctuating rates between the early 1700s and 1850s. The duty, introduced as a means of helping to pay for the War of Spanish Succession, was initially set at a rate of one penny per pound...."

With this being said...such an item was expensive and those could afford it used it sparingly.

There is still the basics...'Chamber Lye" and Potash that would do in a pinch and help in 'cold water' washing.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Cheeky, did you find anything on the housewife making her own soap?

Also, if soap was not widely used, what WAS used?

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

Yes, housewives did make there own soaps (various formulas), but the industry of mass manufacturing soaps for sale in the Colonies didn't really take off until after the 1740's.

There are written reports of 'soap makers' going from village to village/door to door to sell their finish wares to housewives in trade for tallow (animal fat)...bartering for the product.

Back in the UK, during the late 17th century, most housewives did manufacture several 'hard' and 'soft' soaps. Lye was the number one element in there mix.

"Ash-balls" made from veggie ash or wood ash were wetted and formed and mixed into the water as a solution for bucking. Depending on how dirty the load was, a good soak would have be done over night ...or over several days!

Soft soaps were made up of veggie ash and various oils (animal and plant) to help. "Black Soap" was a good example of soft soap.

Then there is the ever popluar...Chamber-lye...aka Urine! Yes, piss had its place in cleaning laundry back int he late 17/early 18th century. Week old urine worked wonders on getting out stains and breaking down body soils.

It would soak over night...then rinsed in cleaner water, the rinsed again, then hung out to dry on shubs or on the grass to dry.

Thank heavens Bess is English...I cannot express the horror that I felt once I found out how Scotch-housewives and maids did their laundry....they'd jump into the laundry bucket with bare feet and stomp until clean...in urine!? No...not my Bess!

Edited by Cheeky Actress

Member of "The Forsaken"

Ya...thought you boys would get a big kick out of that. Week old piss (morning's first 'water') has the good strong properties of ammonia, thus a good cleaning compound and of course, the stench that could choke a horse.

Bess is looking into the latter use of 'ash' for cleaning. Though, the kids would really get a kick out of knowing about the urine. Something about 8 or 9 year olds liking bathroom humor really says something, don't it?

Member of "The Forsaken"

I'm wondering if we could find out the properties of "week old" urine and maybe make a cleaner version? Or just use a diluted ammonia to wash clothes in.... I would be willing to throw a shirt in there just to see how it comes out. Hey it would be great to make a natural linen shirt and wash it every time in an ammonia solution and see how long it takes to bleach white.

I've heard that's how the Romans made white clothing. Supposedly it was good business collecting urine and "aging" it for wash use.

Collecting urine was also how they acquired saltpeter for the production of gun powder too ...so the bucket brigades made their living with collection vats that allowed the urine to ferment and crystal to form along the rim and sides of the vats "harvested for their potential properties. :unsure:

Collecting urine was also how they acquired saltpeter for the production of gun powder too ...so the bucket brigades made their living with collection vats that allowed the urine to ferment and crystal to form along the rim and sides of the vats "harvested for their potential properties. :unsure:

From what I recall (heresy alert!), the urine of pre-pubescent boys (8 to 12 years old?) was supposed the most highly sought after for this.

Michael_banner.jpg

Ya...thought you boys would get a big kick out of that. Week old piss (morning's first 'water') has the good strong properties of ammonia, thus a good cleaning compound and of course, the stench that could choke a horse.

i heard that (mostly from scottish refferences) that the mid-wifes collected expectant mothers urine...for the amonia content...and sold it to the weavers....tho thought it was used more as a "fixitive" for some of the natural dies...!?!?

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Perhaps we should start a new topic: "The Uses for Urine aka "Piss". Everyone has come up with some great historical facts on the use of this product.

Week old or stale urine seems to become more powerful with time, and yes, ammonia is the main element in it. So, I can just imagine that it had hundreds of uses. Everything from cleaning, to setting dye, to making ammo....Wow!

I also remember reading women in ancient Rome would use goats urine to set their hair. The first perms perhaps? And no Maddogge....I don't EVER plan on doing my hair with piss for the sake of reeneacting! Better ask Bess.

Member of "The Forsaken"