Learning how to swim

Silent

They say old dogs can't learn new tricks but they disproved that on Mythbusters B) so I'm 24 years old and I never learned how to swim. I understand the basic concept, I've seen videos but I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I love the water, the ocean, I want to own a boat and I think if I'm going to buy and live on a sailboat I should learn how to swim. Here is the kicker, I can swim for about 10 feet then I get tired and sink, I can't float on my back and I don't know how to wade so in order for me to even attempt to swim I have to be able to touch the bottom. Also I know how to snorkel, love it been doing it for years but as soon as my head comes above the water I start to sink. I've tried the side breathing but can only take one breath until it starts to feel like my chest is going to cave in. If you have any pointers for a fellow pirate please help. I think when I get the money I'll go to a local college to learn but until then I'm trying my best.

(side note) My role playing as a pirate I had a back story that's kind of funny about not being able to swim. My ship wrecked and I was lucky enough to get a piece of drift wood until I floated to an island where I stayed for months until I was able to barter my way aboard a passing ship but giving them palm tree sculptures I made from boredom on the island. B)

Edited by Silent

Yup. Classes at the Y is the best way I know.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Or... not...

A surprising number of sailors don't know how to swim in period...

So, if ya wanna be accurate... B)

Go fer them lessons!!!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Any idea what the Y charges?

I believe that varies by location.

The Salem, Oregon, Y just started adult classes.

The five week course costs $25 for members, $75 for non-members.

Oh that isn't bad at all and the fact they have adult classes is cool, I would hate to get stuck with 10 year olds lol.

Swimming is a good skill to have but it won't help you all that much far out at sea learn to swim then work on drown proofing and even the best swimmers can get caught in rip tide yea have to know how to work with the sea and note try to fight the currents.

Edited by Bright

Swimming is a good skill to have but it won't help you all that much far out at sea learn to swim then work on drown proofing and even the best swimmers can get caught in rip tide yea have to know how to work with the sea and note try to fight the currents.

It would still be nice to swim with friends when at the lake. I always end up sitting on the shore like while they take off, it sucks lol

Here be some encouragement-like. I gots heavy, freakishly massive bones (an' a navy waiver certificate on file ta prove it!blink.gif ) , an' a squat, muscular sort o' build ta go wit' it, so when I first jumped in, I had yer pro'lem. I waz heavier nor water, an' I SINKED! Here's wot I did ta become th' "otter" they called me later....I swam UNNERWATER! Jus' hold yer breath, an do th' breaststroke, an' kick like th' dickens, an' pop up only fer a breath when ye needs it. kickin' off th' side or bottom can get ye t' th' surface or th' other side right quick, too. wink.gif

Ummm....I guess ye do need lessons in th' breast stroke, though.

Ye can do it...I got me lifeguard certificate, an' won swim competitions, an' those what saw me struggle an' gasp like a drownin' weasel th' first few times would ne'er hae credited anysuch thing tongue.gif . Go git 'em, lad! biggrin.gif