Headwear of the era

William Brand

Having spent years here on the Pub I am of course familiar with the cocked hat and all of its finer attributes. There can be no argument that a tricorn stays firmly planted on one's head better in a stiff wind than wide brimmed hats, not to mention that it looks damn fine while doing it. Still, I was wondering if there are examples of a hat cocked only on the right and left side, but not the back, especially in popular literature and art of the day. Being a redhead this question goes beyond simple historical curiosity, for I have certainly learned to appreciate the cover of a good neck-sheltering hat while strolling under the unforgiving sun.

I'm also looking for examples in art and literature of every other conceivable hat of the era, complete with names and country of origin. I just like hats. Examples are a must for this thread.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Niice..I'm liking The Chapman...

Count on you and GOF for the goods. :blink:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Ok, am I the only one that find the hat and hair style of the 1670s French cavalry officer on those illustrations totally COOL!!! :)

Anybody knows if at one point other soldiers or maybe even civilian had this hair style or was it strictly for cavalry?

FWIW: I am given to understand that braided hair remained popular among cavalry well into the 19th century.

The plaits being highly resistant to cutting offered added protection to the neck.

Can I offer you non-cavalry or civilian examples? Not from what I have at hand.

I been wearin' a 'bicorne' meself. It looks good, an' does protect yer neck...a very good thing fer Europeans in th' tropics, no? It does, however, tend ta get 'involved' wi' anything ye wants ta carry over yer shoulder or on yer back...pertic'larly if'n ye also has a plume! Just a word ta th' wise! dry.gif

I saw a couple of 'tricornes' with th' back left flat out, so as to be a 'bicorne' on Captain Twill awhile back (period illustrations)... I will try tae find th' link fer ye. I am sure Hawkyns or another of our fine "sages" can beat me to it, do they read this. wink.gif

Bye th' bye, me hat is leather. Aahre there ANY examples o' a leather tricorne from GAoP or th' Morgan buccaneering era? All I am seein' is felt an' beaver... I bought this nice hat at Ojai, replacing a cheapo felt tricorne, spent some consid'rable amount o' time dressin' an distressin' it, an' I hate ta think I was led astray, an' wasted me time an' me pesos...I looked on Captain Twill fer a thread, but had ta give it up. Just goes ta show... do th' research FIRST, an' then proceed... huh.gif Maybe I will launch another thread..sigh.

Thank ye, 'Master James. I laughed so hard I nigh tae choked...it do look like a "Steve Irwin" special!

(Hats off, lads, to a wonnerful guy now gone.... sad.gif ).

I gots one a lot like it, but somehow I dont see meself wearin' it t' a pirate gatherin'..... Like ta get sweated about th' deck, if'n I be so foolish! biggrin.gif Keepin' an open mind, but I thinks I be tendin' towards th' "flotsam n' gack" school o' thought on it, anyway.

Guess its felt fer me agin'. Sigh. rolleyes.gif Anyone want a battered leather bi/tri-corne, size extry large?