British Sea Officers 1710-1720

Capt Thighbiter

Here is a link to some period paintings you may find useful from a style and color stand point of RN officers (unforunately they are mostly all high ranking)

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/mag/pages/mnuExplore/BrowseByDate.cfm?StartRow=1&PageNum=1&action=date&lettera=&letter=&name=nk&collection=nk&daterange1=1701&daterange2=1750

The link is for the British National Maritime Museum website viewing paintings by date.

Edited by Graydog

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

hey mates, i know various pieces of clothing have been discussed in prior threads but i dont recall any discussion on the shirts. from what i can see arounfd the collars and cuffs, it looks like four have paterns of checks or stripes. anyone else seeing it?

edit* as it pertains to the above picture

Hey Michael, could I wear pants like that and be appropriate? Then I wouldn't have quite so much trouble with my damned socks.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Dutch, I couldn't agree more. I even downloaded the image and blew it up as much as I could on my computer... While it is a bit blurry, I would still say it very much looks like small checks. P.S. I only bothered to zoom in on the gent sitting in the chair in the foreground part of the picture, I didn't bother with the three in the background).

Mission, trousers were pretty typical of sailors, I haven't done any reading as to their commonality on more land-lubbery types... But I see no reason why not. However, I would guess they would still be wearing tall socks. :rolleyes: (although it would be impossible to determine for absolute sure if those stockings were long or short, because those pants are long) :D

Michael_banner.jpg

It's not the height of the socks that I don't like, it's the fact that the tops slip down revealing bare knees. (Scandalous!) The garters help, but I'd rather hide them under pants.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hmm notice the striped frock coat on the fellow in the back. Pinstripes? And all ( except the sitting gent) are wearing sashes!

Well these are doable with kit I pretty much have already, for ship board wear.

For shore use, though... I was looking at the paintings in the link above. No foofy wig of course, but a jabot would not be out of line, do you think? What kind of collar is used when a jabot is worn?

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands