Do we wanna Punk at PIP?

Rats

I know some of us plan to be there a few days for PIP...and though I plan to travel light, I could bring some of my suitable steamer gear if others are also interested....

I know some of us will be swamped with what is already planned.

Just a suggestion!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Rats with the new man in charge from the Park Service... you might want to clear this with Fayma first..

I personally don't see it as being an issue, but he seems to be looking for any excuse to can pirates at the fort.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

"Suitable steamer gear" at PiP seems to me an oxymoron. As someone who's not attending this year, and who's never dressed the part of an airship pirate, I really don't have a horse in this race and should probably keep my yap shut. But this strikes to the heart of one of my pet peeves.

My usual pirate get-up is far more hollywood than historical - which is perfectly suitable for most of the events I attend. But when I had the opportunity a few years back to attend PiP, I made efforts to modify my look to be as historical as I could manage, as this seemed most appropriate from what I'd read about the atmosphere and purpose of PiP. Upon arrival I found that it was indeed an event that prided itself on historical accuracy, and yet everyone was very nice and very supportive of each others' varied efforts to look the part - not a stitch nazi in the bunch. It hardly mattered whether you were 99% accurate or 25%, so long as you did your best with your knowledge and resources.

Airship Pirates, however, are the very definition of making efforts to NOT look accurate, and seem to me to be entirely against the nature of PiP and other reenactor-based events. While suitable and welcome at pop-culture driven pirate events such as PyrateCon, PyrateDaze, and a whole mess of others, I just don't see how they're a good fit at historically based events.

I've bellyached about the steampunk thing in other media and have given some the impression that I have a beef with steampunk in general. Far from it - steampunk is a fantastic thing (I myself own several steampunk albums, own a victorian home that I'm restoring with some steampunk inspiration, greatly enjoy Jules Vern, etc. etc.) But while steampunk and pirate can blend exceedingly well under some circumstances, they hardly blend well under *all* circumstances - although this appears to be the growing trend.

Perhaps I'm alone in this opinion - I've seen the steampunk/pirate connection strongly supported and encouraged by many, many folks within our community - some of them with legendary pirate street cred. But I just don't understand why all pirate events should become a haven for steampunk (any more than I'd understand why all steampunk events should welcome golden age pirates.)

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Hey Bilge Monkey...

I've only gone to PiP once myself... And will be attending for the second time this year, but my take on the festival is that it is a Pirate festival, with all of the connotations that implies. Yes there are pirate (and pirate related) re-enactors there, and the re-enactment portion of the festival is a growing one (specially for the Fort Taylor portion of the festival), but it is still a pirate festival for all pirates.

I think authentic (or a reasonable effort to be so) is only a requirement for the period encampment, for those coming to play in the festival with other accommodations, there is no rule or real push for authenticity.

Now this is all just my take on it, there are plenty here that are closer to, or a part of the organizing bodies that would know a ton more than I would. And maybe they will weigh in here.

Michael_banner.jpg

-- Delete --

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

No I think you summed it up rather well Mickey... there is usually a lot of things going on in town as well and there they usually do not lean toward the historical side of pyracy. That being said, Rats will be at the fort. As I have said I have no issues with it at all, especially if he's planning for after hours, a photo op or for heading off for a night on the town...but again, not my fort, so he needs to clear it with Fayma.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I don't see why you couldn't do a Steampunk outfit in Key West and at PiP - anything seems to go and people not on this forum show up in all sorts of crazy outfits, although many of them seem to be tourists, not event re-enactors.

Or are you talking about organized skits and incorporation into the midst of the event? That would seem to be hard to make work as the core theme of the event is piracy, leaning in a historic direction (especially from the POV of the fort). Steampunk is more of a hybrid offshoot of pyracy and in no way based in history, so the fort folks may not like it as Captain Sterling says. It's a historic fort and I think part of the rationale for use being there is the historic angle.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'm packing way to light to be able to also bring my Steampunk Airship Pyrate stuff.... Airship Pyrates don't really fit in at the Fort, But a night out on the Town as Airship Pyrates would be fun...

<snip> Steampunk is more of a hybrid offshoot of pyracy <snip>

How do you figure this?

Hmm...you're right. How about Steamship Piracy is a hybrid offshoot of piracy?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

<snip> Steampunk is more of a hybrid offshoot of pyracy <snip>

How do you figure this?

Hmm...you're right. How about Steamship Piracy is a hybrid offshoot of piracy?

Sure, but I don't mean to derail this thread.

I have more than my fair share of goggles,

but also no horse in this race.

That said, I think Mr. Hand has the right take on this.

Getting out to PIP one day is a goal of mine.

The historical component is no small part of the draw.

If PIP becomes too eclectic, too much of a fantasy based event,

well I don't need to leave the west coast for that!