The Sealkies Hide

I have been researching tavern signs. Often the signs did not have writing but pictures and symbols. The tavern called "The Cross Keys" would have a sign of two keys crossed. "The Kings Head" would have a painting of the kings head on the sign. Well, I am gong about this backwards ...I gave the place a name before researching. I like the name it is now known. With that said I now need something like this drying seal hide, not a harp seal but a seal from the seas north of Scotland, the grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) and the common, or harbour, seal (Phoca vitulina). Now we all know I wouldn't want to kill a seal just for a sign. That is where all your creative minds come in. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Silkie

Weren't the signs wooden? If you want to make a faux seal skin, you might buy a piece of leather in the appropriate color and stipple it with paint to give it a pebbly appearance. (Stippling is dipping the paint brush into the paint and then holding the brush perpendicular to the surface jamming it down repeatedly with a little bit of force.) If not overdone, it creates a nice textured finish like that picture appears to me to have. Well, that's my suggestion, anyhow.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Missions correctt, they were wooden. Strangly enough i once meet a man who collected olde tavern signs......... are you sure you want to use an actuall seal "hide" look, i think its more traditional to at least paint on what ever emblem you want...though i admit that may take some thinking....i kind of like the idea of a seal head with a knife and fork on either side....though that might imply that the dish you serve is...........

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

-- deleted --

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

If memory serves, weren't a lot of pub names meant to be a sly play on words? What about painting a sign with seals peeking around rocks, as if they were hiding?

That would be SOOO cool! You should do that Silkie! :rolleyes:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG