a probate inventory of boots

Dutchman

an article I just finished reading relating to clothing in Cambridge Mass. from 1652-1704 listed boots in probate inventories. out of 74 households with 37 estates over 200 l and 36 less than 200l the following info was found.

9 pair over 200 l.

7 pair less than 200 l.

of that

4 pr belonged to professionals

2 pr belong to tradesmen

8 pr to tradesmen

2 pr to mariners

unfortunately, the paper does not say how many of the 74 were mariners to start with.

other tidbits.....

27 deerskin coats- none belonged to mariners though.

20 cloaks or mantles/rockets- one to a mariner (what the heck is a mantle or rocket?)

15 drawers- two to mariners

1 spatterdashes- not a mariner

1 trowses- mariner!

19 suits- one mariner

17 doublets- two mariners

Were splatter dashes primarily military?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'd be very interested in knowing the dates of the probates that included the boots. The 52 year span of those inventories is pretty broad and has some dramatic changes in fashion and style within those years. But a neat find all the same.

Mission, as for "spatterdashes" being military. There is a 1690s painting that has been posted on the pub with some regularity that shows a gentleman hunter wearing spatterdahses or gaitors. Although later in the 18th century the knee high gaitors become a more military thing, whereas the above the ankle variety are a more non-military thing.

Michael_banner.jpg

no dates available unfortunately- just a paper I ran across for a historical socielty presentation, but there are references. I'll see if i can't narrow some of them down.

I am however working on a set from coastal virginia between 1680 and 1720. I have copies of these and can provide the dates, but not any background on the person, unless it is someone big like "king" Carter or a Byrd.