Mystery Hat

Ok guys I need some help. I just received this hat as a gift from a friend. I have no idea where it came from, how old it is, or what the badge on the side indicates. I have searched the Internet for any similar hats or badges, but have seen nothing that compares to it. I could use any information that anyone could provide.PICT0008-1.jpgPICT0009-1.jpgPICT0010.jpgPICT0012.jpgPICT0013-1.jpg

GageSig.png

It's a Knights of Columbus 4th degree hat and badge.

http://www.kofcsupplies.com/ccp0-prodshow/4B-2.html

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

It's a Knights of Columbus - 4th degree naval chapeau. See here.

Only Fourth Degree Knights may optionally purchase the full regalia and join the Assembly’s Color Corps. The Color Corps is the most visible arm of the Knights as they are often seen in parades and other local events wearing their colorful regalia. Official dress for the Color Corps is a black tuxedo, baldric, white gloves, cape and naval chapeau. White tuxedos may also be used on certain occasions. Baldrics are worn from the right shoulder to left hip and are color specific by nation. In the United States, baldrics are red, white and blue. Service baldrics include a scabbard for a sword and are worn over the coat while social baldrics are worn under the coat. The colors on a Fourth Degree Knight's cape, and chapeau, denote the office he holds within the Degree. Faithful Navigators and Past Faithful Navigators are permitted to carry a white handled silver sword. Masters and Vice Supreme Masters, as well as Former Masters and Former Vice Supreme Masters, are also denoted by their gold swords. [18]

The need for a patriotic degree was first considered in 1886 and a special plea was made at the National Meeting of 1899. The first Fourth Degree exemplification followed in 1900 with 1,100 Knights participating at the Lenox Lyceum in New York City. [19] Today there are more than 2,500 Assemblies.

Chapeau.jpg

Mark