Baldric Buckle

Cuisto Mako

Hi everyone,

I know every body loves those big brass buckle on their baldric, but I was wondering if they were actually pc and if so what are they suppose to look like?

I know that soldiers baldric usually features some sort of stretch double D buckle but what about pirates or militia man?

Anybody with pc image or painting? My main interest is of cours late 17thC but GAoP would be interesting too.

Thanks

Mako

This should be an easy one to answer. First off were the materials to make those buckles available? Yes. Did the technology to make buckles exist? Yes. Did buckles exist during that period? Yes. Now second thing to consider, pirates did not have uniforms, other thing to consider, things were not mass produced as they are today, meaning almost everything you bought and or stole was custom or hand made. Lastly there is no accounting for personal taste. That should do it.

Petee-2.jpg

There's probably more I could add to our thread since last we discussed the topic.

things were not mass produced as they are today, meaning almost everything you bought and or stole was custom or hand made.

A buckle-making industry was established in Birmingham in the beginning of the 18thC. By the middle of the century, they were producing over 2 million buckles per annum.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

That's interesting, I thought mass production came about during the industrial revolution in the late 1700's, I stand corrected. Still not quite mass produced as products are today or mass distributed. There wasn't a "Ye old Target or Walmart in every town."

Edited by Pirate Petee
Petee-2.jpg

That's interesting, I thought mass production came about during the industrial revolution in the late 1700's, I stand corrected. Still not quite mass produced as products are today or mass distributed. There wasn't a "Ye old Target or Walmart in every town."

I'll blame the education system, which I think is a bit Amerocentric.

The book I have goes on to talk about how, in the 1760s, a machine stamping process was invented for buckles. They stamped stamping out buckles like crazy, and as the 18thC progressed, the grew and grew in size, becoming more fancy, with open work and filigree and all sorts of cool stuff. Someone also invented a process to silver-plate copper during that time. It seems like the late-18thC was the real hey-day of the big buckle.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Thanks guys,

after going through those threads and doing a bit more research on the web, I decided that my baldric won't have a buckle but rather cross stiches like this one:

http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=6763

Looks pretty good, and you saved the cost of a buckle that would not necessarily have been pc in style anyway...

Thanks guys,

after going through those threads and doing a bit more research on the web, I decided that my baldric won't have a buckle but rather cross stiches like this one:

http://www.karlrobinson.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=6763

Looks pretty good, and you saved the cost of a buckle that would not necessarily have been pc in style anyway...

I've tried that route, but with problems. It's OK if you always wear the same kit, but if you vary what you wear, the piece won't hang right. If I have it set for summer kit, just a weskit and shirt, then I put on a wool jacket and canvas coat for bad weather, the hilt hangs under my ribs. If I set it for the heavier gear and then try to wear it with just a shirt, the hilt is halfway down my thigh. There is good reason to put the buckle on and it doesn't have to be a great fancy thing. Just a 2 inch double D works fine.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I've tried that route, but with problems. It's OK if you always wear the same kit, but if you vary what you wear, the piece won't hang right. If I have it set for summer kit, just a weskit and shirt, then I put on a wool jacket and canvas coat for bad weather, the hilt hangs under my ribs. If I set it for the heavier gear and then try to wear it with just a shirt, the hilt is halfway down my thigh. There is good reason to put the buckle on and it doesn't have to be a great fancy thing. Just a 2 inch double D works fine.

Hawkyns

You do have a very good point there. I'll think about it. Thanks Hawkyns!