F.I.E.

Quartermaster James

Well, now that it is in my hands it turns out to be one of those Japanese made Tower pistols.

This one is "new" in that it is unfired. Picked it because it's the same caliber as my long arm. It's nice to have pistol and musket use the same ball!

Boy howdy! Got some work to do though. Definitely need to harden the hammer (aka: frizzen, steel)and probably polish the internals and soften the frizzen spring. Hard to say for sure just yet as it's still covered in a crusting of 30 year old cosmoline. So I guess I know what my "next" project is!

It looks like the front of the barrel is pinned to the stock with a one-way pin! There is a lot of wood on the stock, and rather than try to work this one down I am still toying with the idea of just carving a new leaner one myself.

Hey Cascabel & Callenish! If you guys have any tips about these guns I'd love to hear them.

Well, now that it is in my hands it turns out to be one of those Japanese made Tower pistols.

This one is "new" in that it is unfired. Picked it because it's the same caliber as my long arm. It's nice to have pistol and musket use the same ball!

Boy howdy! Got some work to do though. Definitely need to harden the hammer (aka: frizzen, steel)and probably polish the internals and soften the frizzen spring. Hard to say for sure just yet as it's still covered in a crusting of 30 year old cosmoline. So I guess I know what my "next" project is!

It looks like the front of the barrel is pinned to the stock with a one-way pin! There is a lot of wood on the stock, and rather than try to work this one down I am still toying with the idea of just carving a new leaner one myself.

Hey Cascabel & Callenish! If you guys have any tips about these guns I'd love to hear them.

I heavily modified one of those for our own Stynky Tudor, our illustrious administrator. You might be able to talk him into posting some pics of the results.

>>>> Cascabel

Most of the FIE models I have seen aren't too bad ....workable but not fantastic Sometimes the internals are a bit awkward as the springs aren't always the strongest or most reliable... but the cosmoline isn't that hard to deal with; soak in a bit of kerosene and then use a brush to clean the residue. Then re-coat the inner workings with a good grade gun oil. The frizzen spring might need some careful filing to reduce the amount of material and or the bottom of the rocker of the frizzen might also need to be finely polished and ground (I use an Arkansas oil stone when I do this)

I've seen Cascabel's work and he does a first rate job. So whatever you decide to do whether it be for someone like Cascabel, etc. or doing it yourself go for it and do it slowly and methodically. I have one of these I have used for 33 years since the Bicentennial with only minor repairs( had to replace the sear spring and re-harden the frizzen face)

Most of the FIE models I have seen aren't too bad ....workable but not fantastic Sometimes the internals are a bit awkward as the springs aren't always the strongest or most reliable... but the cosmoline isn't that hard to deal with; soak in a bit of kerosene and then use a brush to clean the residue. Then re-coat the inner workings with a good grade gun oil. The frizzen spring might need some careful filing to reduce the amount of material and or the bottom of the rocker of the frizzen might also need to be finely polished and ground (I use an Arkansas oil stone when I do this)

I've seen Cascabel's work and he does a first rate job. So whatever you decide to do whether it be for someone like Cascabel, etc. or doing it yourself go for it and do it slowly and methodically. I have one of these I have used for 33 years since the Bicentennial with only minor repairs( had to replace the sear spring and re-harden the frizzen face)

That's good info and advice. Thanks Callenish!

Can't say the cosmoline scared me any; rather I was glad to see it. I do have some work to do on the frizzen spring - she's a real rock smasher right now!

BTW: I found these little things over at the dollar store, in the ladies' makeup section, that are are foam blocks covered in four different grits of abrasive. The grits run from something like a 200-400 (working from memory here) to finer than crocus cloth. They're made for polishing nails, but they are great for deburring and polishing small parts too.

Originally purchased as a 30 year old used piece from Hugh - Callenish Gunner of Vagabond Armory. It was in fairly good condition, had seen its share of firing and was semi-reliable.

gallery_201_13_18162.jpg

I sent it to Cascabel to give it the once over twice. He replaced the cock to make it look like an earlier piece, re-hardened the frizzen and forged/fabricated some new custom parts - various screws, springs, a belt clip and an internal bridle.

gallery_201_13_3060.jpg

To continue making it appear as an earlier period weapon, Dave Morgan helped me with shaving down the stock. We lost the ramrod pipes, patched some original machine voids and made a wooden ramrod to replace the original metal one.

gallery_202_13_36260.jpg

Then this last year - Cascabel and I went for a complete tweak and rebuild. We replaced the stock entirely, new shape - solid walnut. We modified the gun barrel to match the new shape of the stock. The lock plate was beveled and was made to sit proud (slightly sticking out) on the stock. . . Except for the butt cap and the back plate, I don't think there's a stock piece on it now - or a piece that hasn't been modified.

Turns out that in the top plate of the flint vise on mine the screw hole was drilled off center.

I was thinking about grinding a new one from stock, but this replacing of the cock entirely is intriguing.

Cascabel, can you tell me from where you got the part to do this modification?

I do have to say it's a sweet, solid piece that fires reliably.

. . .that is unless I've fouled the flint up by firing so much or, um, more likely from over filling the pan. Though the weather and humidity do play their part of course.

At a time-line event in (very dry) California, I went through almost two pounds of powder in a single day, with only a small number of misfires. Some were due to fouling, some due to wearing out the flint. I think the cap an ball guys were a tad jealous, their guns weren't as reliable.

But for all the work, reworking, man hours I've put in, what I've paid for Cascabels time, efforts, counsel and custom part fabrication - not that I even want to ever add up the dollar amounts, I could have easily made a new piece (or two) from scratch.

On the plus side though (of f***ing up parts and breaking main springs), I learned a hell of a lot (of what not to do) and the money spent on that education was deferred over time (the last several years).

Turns pout that in the top plate of the flint vise on mine the screw hole was drilled off center.

I was thinking about grinding a new one from stock, but this replacing of the cock entirely is intriguing.

Cascabel, can you tell me from where you got the part to do this modification?

The rough casting for the cock came from Track of the Wolf. I had to make the top jaw and screw from scratch.

>>>>> Cascabel

I do have to say it's a sweet, solid piece that fires reliably.

. . .that is unless I've fouled the flint up by firing so much or, um, more likely from over filling the pan. Though the weather and humidity do play their part of course.

At a time-line event in (very dry) California, I went through almost two pounds of powder in a single day, with only a small number of misfires. Some were due to fouling, some due to wearing out the flint. I think the cap an ball guys were a tad jealous, their guns weren't as reliable.

But for all the work, reworking, man hours I've put in, what I've paid for Cascabels time, efforts, counsel and custom part fabrication - not that I even want to ever add up the dollar amounts, I could have easily made a new piece (or two) from scratch.

On the plus side though (of f***ing up parts and breaking main springs), I learned a hell of a lot (of what not to do) and the money spent on that education was deferred over time (the last several years).

I have learned much in the past couple of years as well and would like to say I have progressed considerably. I too was the envy of the cap and ball guys a couple weeks ago at the Ft Myers fest (they were using caps because they deemed flints too unreliable). On the line firing I was averaging 5 shots to their 2 (firing every time), of course I saw no reason a ramrod or bread was required unlike others.

id.jpg

bread in gun?

Some people use bread as wadding to keep the powder tight against the breech and improve ignition speed and compression. Bread breaks up and does not usually become a projectile. It also is degradable and does not create a mess after a battle.

There are times when I use wadding and times when I don't. NEVER against opposing forces. When I have a clear downrange and may be holding fire for a bit, I use wadding to keep the powder from shaking away fronm the breech. My preference is green grass or dandelion leaves.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Green grass and dandelion leaves don't burn, and don't leave a mess and it's not the whole plant, just the leaves. It's better than using them paper cartridge as some groups do. O' course, that works for here in the northeast, don't see it as a possibility in California or Texas.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

No problem, Badger, you're welcome. The CA and TX references were because I thought you guys had all kinds of ordinances about wadding so as to prevent fires. A couple of my 15th century gunners have complained about it.

Hawkyns

rod_21.jpg