Wot say y' Gov'nah?

Pew

I'm teaching some background in my Lit class to 12th graders and found this neat little "choose your own adventure" interactive game.

"It's 1629, and you have recently been appointed Governor of a New World colony on the wind-swept coast of the province of Mayne. Your Company's investors have charged you with the tasks of selecting colonists and a ship, and safely guiding them across the sea.

At the end of your journey to the New World, your Company's investors will evaluate your performance as Governor. You will be judged on the health and morale of your colonists, the quantity of supplies you bring to the New World, the state of your ship and crew, and the likelihood that your colony will succeed in the future. "

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/colonialhouse/history/voyage.html

My morale was bad . . . but ending up setting up a colony and being successful.

How did you fare?

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

They had some other neat quizes on there too, like Would you have survived the colony? Might put things into perspective? =)

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

top_result_3.gifspacer.gif

Physical Health Good

Given the difficult conditions they have faced, the remaining members of your Company are in fairly decent health upon their arrival in the New World. Your common sense approach to keeping your colonists healthy has paid off, and your colonists will be able to physically handle the challenges of life in the new colony.

Morale OK

Your Company is a bit fearful of what the future may hold. More than a few of your colonists doubt your decision-making abilities. You will need to strengthen your leadership and raise your Company's spirits if your colony is to succeed.

Supplies OK

Your supplies are not as robust as they could be, but your Company is in decent shape. During your voyage, you made some rash decisions, and wasted some valuable supplies in the process. You will need to be more prudent in the future, or it will spell certain disaster for your colony.

Ship and Crew Good

Perhaps you should have been an admiral in the British navy, rather than a governor in the New England colonies! Your wise advice and sound forethought have made for a relatively safe voyage for your Company. While the relationship with the ship's crew has been a bit strained at times, you have maintained strong leadership on board. The captain and sailors may not like you, but they respect you.

Future Success Good

Your careful rationing and thoughtful decisions will serve your colony well. You have arrived in the New World with a limited but sufficient storehouse of supplies. Your Company will be able to build homes, plant crops, and trade with Indians until the next ship of colonists arrives.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

top_result_3.gif

It's sad to say, but many of your colonists probably won't survive their first winter in the New World. While some of your decisions regarding their health and welfare have been effective, the members of your Company are in desperately weakened states of health. The backbreaking labor of starting a new colony combined with the coming difficult winter will undoubtedly be the end of many of them.

Despite the many physical and emotional challenges faced by your Company members, you are a strong leader, and your well-informed decisions have kept spirits high, even in times of adversity. Psychologically, your colonists are up to the enormous task of founding a new colony.

Your supplies are not as robust as they could be, but your Company is in decent shape. During your voyage, you made some rash decisions, and wasted some valuable supplies in the process. You will need to be more prudent in the future, or it will spell certain disaster for your colony.

Perhaps you should have been an admiral in the British navy, rather than a governor in the New England colonies! Your wise advice and sound forethought have made for a relatively safe voyage for your Company. While the relationship with the ship's crew has been a bit strained at times, you have maintained strong leadership on board. The captain and sailors may not like you, but they respect you.

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

ROTDLMAO!!!!! Well done Maddogge!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Well I tried...

top_result_2.gif

See the details on your performance below.

Physical Health

Good heavens, this is colonial life in 1628, not the Donner Party! Your Company is falling apart at the seams. Many colonists will die shortly after your arrival in the New World. Your decisions regarding the health and welfare of your Company members are plainly and simply disastrous. You can feel relieved however, that you probably won't have to endure colonial life for that long ... you probably won't make it to spring.

Morale

Your Company is a bit fearful of what the future may hold. More than a few of your colonists doubt your decision-making abilities. You will need to strengthen your leadership and raise your Company's spirits if your colony is to succeed.

Supplies

Ship and Crew

Your ship has come through the voyage to the New World battered and bruised, but most importantly, in one piece. The ship's crew sneers at your attempts to control their behavior, and seriously doubts your ability to build a colony in the New World.

Future Success

Your careful rationing and thoughtful decisions will serve your colony well. You have arrived in the New World with a limited but sufficient storehouse of supplies. Your Company will be able to build homes, plant crops, and trade with Indians until the next ship of colonists arrives.

Edited by Jack Roberts

And your my quartermaster????

Crewe of the Archangel

Aye, we'll just lock ye away in the cargo hold. Keep ye away from the rest of the ship, the crew and the occasional passenger... snigger...

Crewe of the Archangel

Well.....Thar ya go......we're colonists that should survive and maybe be able to repair the ship as well as make sure the colony survives/

See the details on your performance below.

It's sad to say, but many of your colonists probably won't survive their first winter in the New World. While some of your decisions regarding their health and welfare have been effective, the members of your Company are in desperately weakened states of health. The backbreaking labor of starting a new colony combined with the coming difficult winter will undoubtedly be the end of many of them.

Your ship is a wreck, and it will require major repairs before making the return trip to England. Forget about any additional colonists ever showing up; if the crew leaves, they will smear your name -- and your colony's name -- throughout England. Count yourself lucky that the crew did not throw you overboard in the middle of the North Atlantic.

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins