period hammocks

Does anyone here have any period pics of hammocks onboard ship, or information on how to make one? In south america i seen the old blanket and rope method, just thrown together any old way. is there a particular GAoP style hammock though?

sam

Alright, but I'll kill anyone who gets in the way of me killing anyone!

let me break it down for ya:

http://www.hmsrichmond.org/ has plans for hammocs. a little late for the period, but its not like there was lots of samples left behind either.

https://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=14632 ,the first aboard Luna. Its a bit small so we've added six inches of material based on a persons height. we are going to run them fore & aft so we don't have too much of a constraint in the hold, but well only be able to string five up.

you can find the weave in ashley's or use a sonnet weave appropriate for the number of lines that make the bridle.

http://www.hmsrichmond.org/ has plans for hammocs. a little late for the period, but its not like there was lots of samples left behind either.

I think that is where I got the information I used to make my hammock, But it looks like they changed their format, and I couldn't find the info to be sure.

I think that is where I got the information I used to make my hammock, But it looks like they changed their format, and I couldn't find the info to be sure.

Try this link & click on the hammocs http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hmsrichmond.org/images/hamck1.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.hmsrichmond.org/hamock.htm&usg=__bECdPo_1qwvrrbaqs_bWn_8X8L4=&h=285&w=669&sz=14&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=v7rjb-o7YYTWaM:&tbnh=59&tbnw=138&prev=/images%3Fq%3DShips%2Bhammocks%2Bpattern%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D1R2ADBR_en%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1

This is going to sound like a stupid question (and possibly stupid idea) but, are the knotted kind with rope not "period"?

I was thinking about making one by cotton or hemp. A friend of mine did these amazing crocheted bags that look like knot-work and I was thinking of trying to mimic that with a hammock.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

lady b, yes that is correct aboard ship as cargo net and could have been used as hammoc. Although I have no documentation, I suspect that could have been a common seaman's cheap hammoc and there may not be an example of such because as it wore it may have been recycled as gun wadding, turned into baggy wrinkle, or face it- its just old and worn completely out and tossed over.

Now, from personal experience on a 3/4 inch manila cargo net with approximately nine inch squares, you cant get out of it quickly, a free hand or foot get fowled while sleeping and you try to turn over, your body weight against the line cuts off circulation and your limbs fall asleep. The splices lay where it is most uncomfortable- no matter how many times you adjust, I was scared to death my head would fall through the gaps as the ship rocked. With all that said, modern hammocs are great. obviously, smaller gaps and your thoughts of softer line are the way to go. I would love to see pictures of a work in progress.

In the Beginning....... Where did the Hammock Originate? Most Central American countries including Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador and Costa Rica ~ and South American countries like Brazil and Equador ~ have a rich and ancient heritage associated with hammocks that predate North Americans by 800 - 900 years. It is generally accepted that the origins of the hammock began approximately 1000 years ago in Central America by the Mayan Indians. This advanced culture which produced the most accurate calendar, the Mayan calendar, built the architecturally exquisite pyramids and stone palaces, created their own writing system, and were extraordinary astronomers and mathematicians, also designed a web-like hammock which is still in use today and considered to be the most ingenious and comfortable of all hammocks.

Originally, the hammock was a simple, yet functional device that was used for both comfort as well as protection. Most of the earliest known uses of the hammock were by native fishermen, who used the fishing nets for both work and rest. Besides a great place to sleep, these early hammocks also offered an even more functional aspect to dally life, protection. As most of the pre-Columbian dwellings were open air huts with bare flooring, making it very accessible for snakes, scorpions, rodents and other dangerous and potentially fatal vermin to enter. They found that by sleeping in a suspended state, they were not only comfortable, but safe. Poisonous snakes of South and Central America will not climb higher than their body length, so hammocks were a natural and logical way to protect oneself. The hammock also offered an escape from water; dirt or other unsanitary conditions that existed within the early New World.

The earliest hammocks were woven from the bark of the Hamak tree. The Sisal plant {similar in looks to an Aloe Vera plant} later replaced the bark as the material of choice for the hammock because it was more abundant, and its fibers could be softened by rubbing them against the thigh.

Because of the extensive trade routes which were established between the Indian nations of Central and South America, the hammock naturally found its way into the heart and home of millions of natives. Hammocks were soon being made from indigenous fabrics and materials which resulted in a multitude of styles, which have evolved to the classic cloth/fabric hammock, typical of Brazil, and cord and rope hammocks similar to today's styles.

Shortly after Columbus dropped anchor in the "New World" hoping to find shiploads of gems, spices and fine silks he found, instead, a load of natives of the Bahamas lounging in hammocks for their afternoon siesta and demonstrating their genetically superior disdain for time! Columbus decided to take a load of hammocks back to Europe with him, along with the few gold trinkets he was given {which would ultimately create the first gold rush in the new world and be the beginning of the end of many great nations}, probably to substitute for the lack of other "Eastern treasures". Soon, many European sailors, particularly the British and the French, found the hammocks very useful and practical for sleeping at sea.

The Europeans generally utilized canvas cloth for their hammocks, which the Navy used for three centuries. These naval hammocks, unlike their predecessors, were small, sweaty and cramped - each sailor was allowed about 4 inches in width! During battle engagements, the hammocks were rolled up in tight bundles and jammed into racks on the ship's gunwales as protection against small arms fire. A few bullet holes were probably welcome ventilation to the sailors!

In 19th century Britain the prison system incorporated the hammock as their standard sleeping apparatus because of its space saving qualities. The large brass hammock loop ends were hung over two large hooks securely fastened to opposing walls and could be taken down and folded up or hung off one hook for storage to create instant space {a technique commonly used today indoors}. However, when the inmates realized what sweet little weapons the brass rings made, the wardens got rid of them.

In the 18th century hammocks in North America were still considered a novelty. Most hammocks were narrow with wood staves and demanded agility and balance. It wasn't until the 1880's, thanks in part to a wider version, that the hammock became popular in North America.

Can only imagine why salors would think of using sails ;-}

svtq1k.jpg