What do you think this is?

Quartermaster James

Okay, if this is real then this is obviously going to drive up the bidding, but I'm not bidding until I know more. So far the seller has not responded to my queries.

So, look at this: 18th Century Flintlock Copy.

What do you think? Elaborately packaged non-firing replica or functional set?

The description states "white metal". I don't think the hammer or frizzen could possibly be functional made from this. Theres also a hairpin steel spring looking to hold the frizzen closed to the priming pan. It appears to be molded into the lock instead of being a separate piece. Not bein' a gunner this would be a laymans observation- nonfunctional display piece.

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

From the looks of things you can see on the lock where the backs of some screws are visible which may be holding internal springs. There is a real flint which is a positive. If the stock is real wood then most of the other parts even if they are fake and plastic should be able to be used as patterns to recast them in steel and make a functioning piece.

All in all to me it looks like a nice mold, a beautiful flask and possibly a nice presentation piece in a beautiful box.

id.jpg

What do you think? Elaborately packaged non-firing replica or functional set?

My thoughts exactly. I'd steer well clear of it.

(Also, if memory serves, ebay no longer caters to sales of functioning firearms...)

Well, I was wondering if I got no reply to my first question asking whether this was a replica or firing weapon because the seller wanted to hide any violation of eBay terms. However, my subsequent questions about barrel stampings and mold caliber have also been ignored. The buying history of the people bidding on it is interesting; they are no strangers to the waters, at least.

Watch & wait...

Seems to me I have seen this model pistol before and it is non-firing plastic and pot metal ...if you look on the front of the trigger-guard you can see the obvious casting flashing of the pot metal and for some reason the screws don't ring true to my eyes

Not only the screws, but several other parts as well: that frizzen doesn't look hardened, after all.

Anyway, I finally got a reply to my question: replica. What a waste of a nice mold and flask!

Not to mention the $142 it's already bid to!