Oilskin

Cap'n Black Jack

OK so I found a traditional recipe on the interweb for making oilskin canvas. Two parts linseed oil, one part beeswax, one part burnt umber oil paint, boiled. So I made it, rolled it on the canvas and hung it up to cure. I am hoping this works. Anyone ever try this? The claim is it will be waterproof, just don't sleep too close to the fire...

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

yeah, it takes a long time to dry though. the mix we use is linseed oil, turpentine, pine tar and bees wax. make sure it gets lots of sun light and you may want to bring it in at night to keep moisture off it. its good to try at least once to say you did it, but by the time you get done with the materials, headache of cleaning and listening to the better half about tracking all this gook through the house and stinking it up you're best off buying it. So how were you able to evenly coat your canvas and how did it turn out?

I rolled it on with a paint roller and it drenched the thing. Its was dripping today when I put it out on the line. I am hopping it gets a lot of sun today. It was so bad but it does smell bad. I don't know that I'll do it again, just going to wait and see how it turns out.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

I remember someone telling me that the tent that they waterproofed this way took the better part of a year to dry out enough so it didn't stain other fabrics. Not sure if they did it right, but that was enough to discourage me from doing it. I wonder if the black waterproofed fabric that is used for those Australian duster things is commercially available?

I recall a similar thread here within the last few years. Someone (Cap'n Pete Straw, if memory serves) used black house paint or something along those lines, and was quite satisfied with the results.

I remember someone telling me that the tent that they waterproofed this way took the better part of a year to dry out enough so it didn't stain other fabrics. Not sure if they did it right, but that was enough to discourage me from doing it. I wonder if the black waterproofed fabric that is used for those Australian duster things is commercially available?

I recall a similar thread here within the last few years. Someone (Cap'n Pete Straw, if memory serves) used black house paint or something along those lines, and was quite satisfied with the results.

I believe Tentsmiths carries the fabric... Tentsmiths

http://www.tentsmiths.com/tent-camp-accessories-watchcoats.html

and

Panther Primitives

http://pantherprimitives.com

William Booth, draper mentioned at Pike, possibly carrying it, although I don't see it on his website...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

One of the descriptions I read (and was going to try) called for beeswax and just "oil" but it went heavy on the beeswax so it was closer to a paste, was really rubbed into the fabric with a stiff brush.

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

My first attempt at a period oilskin has been a mixed success. I am pretty sure it will keep me dry from outside, but it is still sticky and oozing red oxide. I have been baking it in the Florida sun for several weeks, but our insane humidity hasn't done me any favors. I probably would go heavier on the Japan drier next time, but I understand that can be very hard on the fabric as well.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

I've got better things to do with my life than waiting for this stuff to dry and become less volatile. I purchased oil cloth from these folks Scarlet Scarab and they have a nice watch shirt that goes over the rest of your kit to keep you dry in a good downpour

Edited by callenish gunner

Years ago I had gotten that recipe for making oil cloth.... hung it to dry for over four months in an open air shed it was still stinky and tacky I used it to make a waterproof covered wagon tarp ....the smell left after almost 2 years The commercial stuff from Scarlet Scarab never had that awful smell and was usable from the moment I bought it.

I'm starting to think you are right. The cloth is no longer wet, a bit damp in spots. It is very waxy. I am thinking that it might need to have the excess wax shaved off. The smell isn't so bad, more live beeswax than linseed oil. I'm still not convinced that this was a totally bad idea, but I have a backup plan.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

My first oil cloth was linseed oil painted on, it took about three weeks to dry, but stayed sticky.

The one I use now is about 50-50 linseed oil and turpentine. it dried a little quicker, but isn't sticky... it does still have that linseed oil smell....'

Something kinda important to remember..... Oil soaked cloth will spontaneously combust if it's wadded (rolled or folded) before it is completely dry. I just left mine outside untill dry so I didn't start my house on fire.......

UPDATE - The oilskin is coming out quite nicely. I am shocked. It is drying well in the 60 degree dry weather we are having and where it has dried it feels a bit waxy but not oily. A few more days should dry it out completely, I hope.

Oh, yes, I don't want to bring it in until it is totally dry, I don't want a house fire either.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif