A question about hats...

smoolie671

Is there some historical method of securin yer hat to yer person such as a small leather rope or such that would keep yer prized noggin cover from blowin out to sea whilst standin on the deck? Seriously, has anyone thought about this? I know I have heard a few people say to just push it down hard, but if a stiff breeze get under it, it's gonna go flyin.

I have not sailed much but I have sailed on a tall ship and in high winds, starboard tack, sails full and a port heel that was fantastic for such a large ship. I have also sailed in calm waters with the engin running. If there is any wind I suggest not wearing that prize hat. Makes working difficult anyway. Put the hat on when you are out of the wind.

Yup, if you're working on a ship then wear a sensible hat - one that isn't going to be wind-caught.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I cast my lot along with Silkie and Foxe... even a well fitting cocked hat will catch the wind, if the wind is strong enough...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Is there some historical method of securin yer hat to yer person such as a small leather rope or such that would keep yer prized noggin cover from blowin out to sea whilst standin on the deck? Seriously, has anyone thought about this? I know I have heard a few people say to just push it down hard, but if a stiff breeze get under it, it's gonna go flyin.

One solution was to wear a knitted cap - either a stocking cap or a fitted monmoth caps or leather caps. See Gentlemen of Fortune for some more information about caps and headgear.

Mark