Anyone Know What This Is?

Raphael Misson

The auctioneer claims that this brass thing on eBay is a medical device. It almost looks more like navigational device to me, although there was a company named Hood & Reynolds in Boston that made dental fillings in the latter half of the 19th century. Whatever it is, it's an interesting device...

dental device late 1800s closed.jpg

dental device late 1800s open.jpg

dental device late 1800s measuring device.jpg

dental device late 1800s manufacturer.jpg

The auction says,

"I have no idea what this was to measure or it's use although from experimenting with it I seem to think it was a facial device perhaps. The curved small piece fits on your nose well and the long curved piece goes under the chin and the patient could hold to the sides of the "horse shoe" it what I suppose. It seems to fit that yet it's purpose remains a mystery. The wing nuts are cast iron and have pitted patina as you would see in an 18th century item. Works smoothly and has measurments in precise degrees it would seem. Very well made. Has been polished and layered a long time past, just a fabulous device and if any ebayer knows the purpose I will be glad to post it to the site.

Measures 7 1/4" long 5 " wide."

Edited by Raphael Misson

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be." — Voltaire

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

The auctioneer claims that this brass thing on eBay is a medical device. It almost looks more like navigational device to me, although there was a company named Hood & Reynolds in Boston that made dental fillings in the latter half of the 19th century. Whatever it is, it's an interesting device...

dental%20device%20late%201800s%20closed.jpg

dental%20device%20late%201800s%20open.jpg

dental%20device%20late%201800s%20measuring%20device.jpg

dental%20device%20late%201800s%20manufacturer.jpg

The auction says,

"I have no idea what this was to measure or it's use although from experimenting with it I seem to think it was a facial device perhaps. The curved small piece fits on your nose well and the long curved piece goes under the chin and the patient could hold to the sides of the "horse shoe" it what I suppose. It seems to fit that yet it's purpose remains a mystery. The wing nuts are cast iron and have pitted patina as you would see in an 18th century item. Works smoothly and has measurments in precise degrees it would seem. Very well made. Has been polished and layered a long time past, just a fabulous device and if any ebayer knows the purpose I will be glad to post it to the site.

torture speculum LOL

Well, I figured out that Hood & Reynolds operated in Boston from 1874 - 1897, for what that's worth. It has to be used for measuring something based on the scales on it. You wouldn't go to all the trouble of putting that on it without a reason.

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.” –Carlos Casteneda

Looks like something may be missing from it. If not, what is the purpose of the second thumb screw? It doesn't seem to hold the other arm away from the base or do anything else for that matter.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Looks like something may be missing from it. If not, what is the purpose of the second thumb screw? It doesn't seem to hold the other arm away from the base or do anything else for that matter.

It might be used to mount the device to something else. Maybe a stand or something like that. In fact, I had been wondering why there wasn't hole on it to allow it to be attached to a steadying frame. If you were measuring something, particularly on the human head as the seller seems to think you would be, you would want that device to be as steady as possible.

Edited by Raphael Misson

The auction says,

Could it have something to do with Phrenology?

466px-Craniometer.Elements.of.phrenology.George.Combe.1.png

fig1.gif

Hey Bo, think you might have something there... another modern gauge in brass...and the curved piece on Mission's could very well slip right up nicely along the heel for placement

HoofGaugeBrass.jpg

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Wow, that's interesting! You learn about the most amazing things when you become a re-enactor - including those not related. Thanks guys!

Of course, there is still the curious question in my mind of why Hood & Reynolds in Boston would be making tools for horses. I haven't found any other companies named H&R in Boston other than the dental equipment company.

Edited by Raphael Misson

Hmmm some people put more money into their horses' feet than into their own children's teeth? Big money in top show horses, not to mention racing... personally spent a fortune on custom shoes for one of my hunters, and a good friend was offered a blank cheque for one of her jumpers...so it can be a very costly and still profitable "hobby".

Perhaps the H&R company produces very accurate gauges? Screw up a horse's hoof and odds are you cripple the animal unfortunately... for such big, strong creatures, they can be extremely fragile and their feet need a lot of attention.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Mission, horse racing in the 18th and 19th, and even early 20th century was the equivalent to NASCAR today. Rich and poor alike attanded these races in droves. It was the most popular form of mass entertainment throughout early history. This would more likely have been used by a well-trained veteranarian/farrier than a comman farrier just slapping shoes on cart horses.

That would be something cool to have if I had the bucks to throw down.

Bo

They used to have the horse racing at Williamsburg during publik times... now that was fun!

Crewe of the Archangel

The International Dental Journal 1890 lists Hood & Reynolds, the Boston Business Directory 1871 list J Hood & SH Reynolds Goldbeaters, the Boston Almanac and Business Directory 1898 has an ad for Hood & Reynolds Dental Depot manufacturers of fine gold foil and all kinds of dental instruments located at 781 Treemont Street, Room 4 the Knickerbocker building, Beecher's manual and dental directory of the United States 1884 lists them under 'tooth powders' at 74 Treemont. It also seems that Hood and Reynolds split some time around the 1900s each continuing to make dental equipment and supplies. I would venture to guess that it is some sort of Victorian dental device.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif

Did people have their teeth floated back then? ;) I don't know anyone with a 5" wide jaw spread either, nor how that sharp probe would go over around/down the throat. I would say this company manufactured more than just dental equiptment, I can see no practical way to apply that insrument to dental practice. The dimaensions are near the same as the farriers hoof gauge as well. I'd have to see a similar item tagged as dental before I could agree with that.

Bo

Well, I see that they make dental Vulcanizers, Topidus, dental chairs, dental wheel engins (operate drills), nothing before this. I also found similar tools for measuring for mouth/teeth impression molds. I just learned that there were a lot a scary dental tools out there in the 1800s. I sent the images and link on to a friend who might have other ideas.

BJP_LOGO_BLOG.gif