Getting that cocked hat right

Coast Watch

Being new to this side of the 18th century (I've done later but not GAoP) I am still working on that most vital part of piracy - the hat. I have a low crown broad brim from Dirty Billy that I have used for my 1785 work -but now I am turning that large brim (5 inches) into something cocked. I have put in a single thread to hold up two front spots - but am not sure what will be the best (most period) material to make it a permanent change. I have some black leather cord that would be strong enough but really want this to look right since I am changing this hat for good and hopefully for the better - Finally a question - what is the most correct way for a working sailor to cock up that brim? Any pics of close-up work would be greatly appreciated.

As Always Your Humble Servant,

Coast Watch

Them that die'll be the lucky ones

Jack,

Turned out reasonably well - I got some black cotton chord - and even though that would not have been my first choice - I was in a bind for time. I needed it done by yesterday and that big 5 inch brim looks very good turned up on two sides. I left the back down, it just adds something different, since almost everyone seems to cock up all three sides. The curator or the Provost Dungeon, where I was yesterday, on seeing the hat was impressed -so it must have gone okay - thanks for asking -

Coast Watch

Them that die'll be the lucky ones